Remington UMC brass 16 ga best

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Oh by the way surely your local range isn’t Dallas gun club.is it. Now that is one heck of flash place
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

No sir, I'm in Houston about 4 hours south. I have shot there a couple of times in the past. When I use to shoot skeet on the professional level. I shot all over Texas.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

What? You shot skeet professionally? Not sure I want to shoot with you anymore
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Hey….. that was in the past. Actually most of it was my military days. Uncle Sam let me do some pretty cool shit. I’m older and slower now, but I can still hold my own. It’s not about the hits or misses, but about the friendship and the stories that people have. Most say I was born 100 years to late. I’m old school to the bone.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Both My shooting buddies have been to skeet mini and worlds in San Antonio few times. One of my skeet DVDs is filmed at Dallas and other at Greater Houston.
    Ranger since you like a good story and sense of humour relating to shotgun shooting and the past see if you can find a copy of a old yellow plain cover book titled
    Forrest Mc Neir of Texas. think published 1953. Covers his 50 + years of comp shooting stories pre 1900 to early 50’s
    Guaranteed laughs.
    I’m older now but still like to try n play hard on the skeet field
    Win7 I reckon your foxing and no slouch on the skeet field either. Too many dead birds in all those hunting photos
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have my days but I’m inconsistent on the skeet field. Sporting clays and 5 stand are my bread and butter.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

One more thing Auzzie. Shooting a pointed pheasant is like throwing a 5 gallon bucket in the air and shooting it……
  8. Ranger6

Auzzie: thanks for the suggestion. I found the book on Amazon, but unavailable right now, but it won’t be long.
    Not sure how it is in the land down under, but the group I shoot with is pretty rough on people. Most guys either learn to shoot or they go away. If you can make it through the initiation then there will be lots of pointers.
    Don’t let win7 fool you. Some of those sporting clay targets are the most challenging.
  9. Ranger6

Just curious do you shoot skeet with a mounted or low gun?
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

We all shoot American skeet pre mounted exact same as you now days Originally when I started in 1980 as a kid was all low gun and you shot the low house first on station 7 singles. Showing my age and hair colour now. Sporting Clays is gun down 8” line on vest from shoulder top. Fitac Sporting Clays bit different like Olympic skeet low gun at hip. Five stand is gun down 8” line.
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Your right sporting is tough especially the 50 60yard crossers when your used to a much smaller sight picture. And 5 stand should be part of a test for diagnosis of Alzheimer’s as there is so much going on so quick if it’s not your bread n butter.
  12. Ranger6

Auzzie, I shoot low gun in everything.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I pre mount. I need to start shooting low gun as it’s more natural to me
  14. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Curious did you used to shoot lot of ISSF Olympic skeet once.? Most that ever did that discipline and lot of it shoot low gun for everything and maintain it their whole career. Or is carry over from hunting and field when younger?
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Carry over from hunting for me. I just got into skeet 6 years ago. I need to shoot more but with two young boys I don’t have the time I once had. I shoot 2 rounds a week for 10 weeks so there’s not much time to improve.
  16. Ranger6

When I was in the Military we did have a shooting discipline, it was low gun, I also was taught by an old school shooter in Europe, where they don't allow mounted gun. I had done lots of hunting before that, like Justin, so it was an easy carry over, thank you grand dad. With that being said, if I am asked for pointers now on the skeet field I always observe the person at least a full round and then give pointers. Most new people that shoot mounted gun close one eye, your at a 50% loss before you pull the trigger, unless you have an eye dominance issue. Some try to mount and then shift their eyes to the target, again about the same odds, because both eyes are not really focused on the front edge of the target, if your eyes are correctly focused your brain will put the barrel where it needs to go, no need to look at that bead either. The other problem I see mostly is people's stance, and the way they hold the shotgun. with a shotgun the right hand(right handed shooter) should be very lose around the stock, your left hand should be firm on the forearm. With a riffle most pull back to some degree with their right hand(right handed shooter). This will cause problems also, on the skeet field. Probably the hardest thing to explain is the correct lead. When someone misses, the first question I always hear is, was I in front or behind that one? simple answer: if you missed you were behind. You don't miss in front unless your just way to far in front. I have even seen one shooter close both eyes, before pulling the trigger. Young lady was terrified of the recoil. Husband thought would be funny for her to shoot a 12 gauge. Needless to say, we had a nice little talk on the side line. I could go on for days...... all shit I paid for someone to tell me, had lots of teaching and each teacher is different and should be able to adjust to your style of shooting, if its not all jacked up. Some will insist on mounted gun, never will agree, but most hunters I know shoot low gun.
  17. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Have to say this post has certainly drifted from topic but it is super interesting to discuss and learn a bit of background of the like minded. Win7 wait till your kids are into it full on like my 15 yr old , get good and start burning up your ammo , your budget and their ammo allowance as well !! You end up like me as coach ,confidant, optometrist , gunfitter, taxi driver , nocturnal reloader and gunsmith. I wouldn’t miss the journey seeing them develop and the quality Dad Son time for the world.
    Ranger have struck many same issues as you mention. Find coaching very rewarding now and take great delight in taking on ones who are deemed basket case useless by the peanut gallery and if willing to listen and do ,mouldings them into something. Friend is sport obtometrist so have learned lots n lots about eyes and in particular what to look for how to deal with kids eyes and women’s for clay shooting. Lot of people mocked how I was going about teaching my kid
    stupid stuff till he swept the floor couple months back at a major. Now they all want to know the secret. Too bad you can’t bottle n sell hard work and dedication.
    win7stw likes this.
  18. Ranger6

Auzzie:
    We have drifted from the thread topic, but unlike some forums you don’t get scolded here. And I started this one, so it can go anywhere we want it to. I like it when lots of different things are brought to the table. I prefer it to be about reloading, shooting, our kiddos or along those lines, but I am open to discuss anything.
    The only time I have seen something moved here is by Ripjack13 and it was posted in the wrong section and he moved it to get more eyes on it. I have often wondered why it’s usually always the same bunch that post here, some make a post and never return, even if they ask a question. And other times people will never return to post their results. We don’t seem to have that issue with the regular group.
    And pass some of that eye stuff along from your buddy. That’s just good knowledge.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021