Reloading. How bad is it suffering

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Auzzie, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I would like to here from others who visit the site what their observations are. Posted bit of lead up words on cheddite primers for those who might be interested in offering some insight
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Just my take- don’t see it getting any better as far as things being available till next year. When they are available it will not be at the price we are use to by any means. I did my normal dead man walk at the LGS today. No powder, primers and shot it now 70 a 25 lb bag .They had about 30 bags 7.5-9 shot. I did some searching today for shot. Bass pro list at 44 a bag, but out of stock. I ordered wads yesterday and they seem to be available @ 9.99 a bag.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have the same thoughts as Ranger. If I see powder that will work I am buying it. I just bought 20lbs of PB for $20 a pound. I am sitting on a pretty healthy primer stash now. My LGS had wads yesterday so I bought a case of them for $10 a bag. The owner has shot on back order and he has no idea when he will get it. The other place I get shot from has it for $65 a bag but nothing smaller than 6 shot. The I saw three flats of 12 gauge target shells on the shelf yesterday. I thought it was going to get better soon but I think we are a couple years away from normal
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

This is interesting. Would it be fair to say resources normally available for reloaders are being diverted into factory loads to fill the ammo shortfall ?
    Secondly is this now putting the Pinch on what amount you would normally shoot or now becoming a consideration?
    I am certainly observing and seeing people generally cut back on their practice and social outing targets now purely as the result of ammo and target costs.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’m not sure what’s going on. From what I’ve been hearing x the problem is getting the raw materials available.

It won’t affect how much I shoot. I try to keep at least two years worth of shells on hand. I plan to shoot more this year than I have the last 8 years.

I probably won’t do as many sporting clays shoots this year because the gun club barely has enough ammo on hand for the league shooters that don’t reload.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Agree with Win7stw completely. It will take a lot more to slow down my shooting. If in the next 10 years I run out, I just drive to ND and beg for PB. I leaned the last or one before that, to be prepared, as you never know. I do still buy factory stuff when I see it. Yesterday I bought 2 boxes of federal 16. It was $14 a box but much easier to sallow 28 vs 300. It goes under the bench and may get shot this year, maybe not.
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Our gun club it has membership base of 500. (Bare in mind things different here with ownership laws and having to be a member of a club etc).That has grown by about 100 in last 2 yrs with covid and bit of interest with come and try and corporate days etc.
    Out of that the best can work out there is only 3 of us who actively reload in that group.
    Turn back clock times past everybody reloaded especially if you were Joe Average like me and wanted to get lead down the barrel to get better. That was how you afforded it.
    Now what I am hearing is with ammo shortage and price hikes people are starting to look again with renewed interest towards reloading but are stonewalled completely with the lack and unavailability of components to work with.
    I had several people ask me what was involved this Saturday past because they want to shoot more rounds but can’t afford it.
    Ok next question is what would be your yearly ammo count? I load for the little bit I do and mainly for my Son who is junior skeet shooter and burns the bulk. We do about 5 to 6 K for the yr between us.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

win7 I can certainly see when your boys get a taste for busting Clays your ammo count will be up ! They will be the only kids on SCTP with nice wooded A5s .
    win7stw likes this.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Last year I only shot about 2500 rounds. I like to shoot about 4K a year
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think I’m going to volunteer for the youth shooters this year so I’ll be at the range more than normal. So hopefully I can shoot more skeet
  11. Ranger6

Auzzie: if you break that 6000 rounds down, your shooting little over 4 rounds a week. I would assume the boy is doing 2-3 and you get the leftovers. Honestly that’s not bad at all. I normally shoot 3-4 on sat/sun. Sometimes I shoot during the week a round or two. Just with the weekends if I do 6 rounds your looking at around 8000 shotgun shells, so roughly 32 flats. Now that doesn’t count the week days or the sorting clay field. It really doesn’t take long to get an easy 15,000 a year. Right now isn’t the time to get started at reloading. It will all come back, like it always does, then be prepared for the next cause it will happen again. Most people that are serious shooters are not going to stop. Maybe a little less. Lots of flashlight drills.
    I think some of it depends on where you are. My club is closed 2 days a year. So if you wanna shoot it’s there.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Wish I had a facility that I could shoot year round at. I could see myself easily shooting 8-10k a year
    Ranger6 likes this.
  13. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Interesting info you both shared. Seeing you guys live in shotgun HQ (US) it’s good to get perspective of what’s actually going on. We are insignificant market down here (guppy in the fish tank) so we have to take crumbs and be grateful for that.

If were buying the best eurotrash factories here we can get from NZ would be 3k for 5000. At present with stockpiled reloading supplies and doing cheap but a quality 1200 reload for skeet or sporting with recycled or home brand shot coming in say $50 a slab. That is 1k and represents considerable worth and saving. Not only do get good consistent loads but bit of fun and interest as well. That certainly was important being able to give my Son opportunity to get lead down range and master the fundamentals. It also allowed saved dollars for comp entry and more practice.
    Religiously listen to a lot of podcasts on Shotgunning industry in your world .(love them) They broached on the above subject. Seems quite a few clubs and white flyer themselves commented on a noticeable reduction in targets requirements and figures to the last couple years. There is also trending downturn in registered vs practice targets being thrown.