Receiver change question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Can someone advise of the exact date/serial number when the receiver was changed from the squared rear corners of the ejection port to the rounded corners? I looked through the A5 bible, and didn't see it mentioned (that's not to imply that bit of information isn't in there, I just didn't see it.)
    I am pretty well bed-ridden with a flu for a few days, and can't hardly bring myself to open up the safes to compare the ones I have to narrow down the years they would have changed. I have a couple from the 20s, a few from the 30s, two from the late 40s, a handful-each from the 50s, 60, and 70's.
    It's just one of those things a guy wonders when he is bored, laying here feeling like crap.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Wow, that was fast!!! Thanks. Not that I doubt you in the very least, but is that information in the A5 bible?
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No, someone posted it on Shotgunworld, but it’s easily verifiable.

A lot of changes to the Auto-5 occurred that year. The most important was the change to a thicker rail on the Locking Block. The old, narrow rails tended to break so FN beefed them up. Because of that, if your pre-58 Locking Block fails, you’ll have to scour eBay for one or replace both the Locking Block and the Bolt with the newer parts. Here’s a look at what a broken one looks like:
    [​IMG]

Another change was the silver soldered Action Spring Tube replacing the threaded variety.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Biz likes this.
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Yeah, I am well aware of those issues and I've seen both of those movies. (I didn't like the endings!).

Thanks!!!!!
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Another major change in 1958 was the relocation of the Carrier Spring to the Trigger Plate. I spent hours fitting a Model 11 spring to a ‘57 Sweet Sixteen before learning that it's possible to use the new spring on the old gun.
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Not totally true my friend. I have my 36 with the new spring in the trigger. Just takes more money and more modifications.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m not sure what’s not true. The Service Manual shows how to use the new spring without modifications. It also shows how to use the new Trigger Spring, another mod that I think occurred in 1958.

[​IMG]
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Sorry about that. I read your post wrong, I thought I understood as the new spring wouldn’t work, I see now that you said it would work. Anyway hope all is well. And thanks for the picture, will come in useful for someone looking for info.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06