Pre-war Case info requested

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Anatidae, May 22, 2023.

1. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Are there cases for Auto-V's with just one barrel slot?

After stripping a couple of cases and finding numbers written in lumber crayon, I'm under the impression that a #4 is for single barrel 12ga and a #5 was for 12ga 2-bbl. I just confirmed a #3 was for 16ga 2-bbl thus a #2 would be (assumed) for a single barrel 16ga - which is the reason for my question.

So, this also leads me to wonder what gun/gauge a #1 case is configured for. It must've also been an Auto-V case since Superposed didn't come until 1931.

What were the first Auto-V's produced......or what was the most common configuration, early-on?
    Last edited: May 23, 2023
  2. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

An acquaintance confirmed there are pre-war 16ga cases with 1 barrel slot.

Anyone else?
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

The fist was the auto 5 12 ga. Then 16 ga come in around 1909. Have no clue about the cases, but I have seen only 2 barrel cases.
    Anatidae likes this.
  4. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Thanks. Then it is possible that.....
    #1 could be for 12ga single bbl
    #2 could be 12ga 2-bbl - but .......
    #3 is confirmed as 16ga 2-bbl

So, a #2 case could be for 16ga single bbl - but

My prior understanding was......
    #4 is for 12ga single bbl
    #5 is for 12ga 2-bbl
    ......but this is now in question.

So, here's a good puzzle for the knowledgeable Auto-V guys.....

What barrel lengths were offered in 1909 for the 12 ga?
    When were extra bbls (or 2-bbl sets - requiring 2-bbl cases) introduced in a catalog?
    When was the 16ga introduced?

I'm wondering if 12ga and 16ga cases accommodated all barrel lengths offered in the pre-war era, or if another number was assigned to a case for 12ga with longer bbls (both 1 & 2-bbl cases).

This would be similar to the need for different length cases for Superposed with single sets of barrels 26-1/2 and up to 28" long (#7-confirmed), up to 30" long (#8- confirmed), and 32" long (#9 - presumed).

Also, I was browsing through some literature last night and came across a page from a 1938 catalog that Rudolph31 (I think) posted somewhere. It shows a single barrel Auto-V case and lists it as an ‘A’ and ‘AF’. ‘A’ for Auto-V (cowhide) and ‘F’ presumably for ‘faux’ (leatherette or textile).

Interestingly, the Superposed case was designated ‘O’ (over and under, presumably), and ‘OF’.

Designations in periods on either side of this ‘38 catalog are ‘A’ and ‘S’ for the 2 different models offered, then ‘DA’ for double auto and ‘R’ for SA-22 for the Tolex style cases in the mid-50’s. Designations changed to numerical in the ‘60’s.

I think the numerical designations during the early years were the manufacturer’s designations for various configurations. These numbers appear on a gun invoice when a case was also ordered. I have an original 1935 invoice for a Superposed 28" with a "Model 'S' #7 case" as a separate line item.

I bought an old 2-compartment train case with the same style locks and hasps as the pre-war style cases made for BrowninG and it has ‘#57T’ (train?) in the base, center divider and lid. The top compartment was typically used for stationary or personal documents. That case had 4 locks and hasps and I paid dearly for it, providing hardware for 2 gun cases. The locks and hasps are brass but can be plated in bronze after cleaning, buffing, and flash copper plating.

So, if the first cases this company developed were numbered for BrowninG guns, then they must have established prior to or around 1909. Perhaps near St. Louis or Ogden. I'll run that rabbit a while. Any thoughts would be welcomed.
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
  5. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

According to the S&V Browning book the first dedicated a5 cases didn’t arrive till 1928-29. Sorry can’t remember exactly but can quote when I have access to the book. Surly one of you retired gentleman can beat me to it.
    Anatidae and Ranger6 like this.
  6. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

That narrows it down, substantially. Thanks.
  7. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

I’ve checked a number of cases and found their # stamped into the exterior covering on the back of the case below the leather stitched hinge. Most are found, midway of the case. Some are stamped near the screw that secures the comb block to the inside wall.

This is the number 3 stamped on the rear exterior of a 16ga 2-bbl case.
    [​IMG]
    It looks like a number 8, but I have a #8 case that has a very legible stamp. Some stamped numbers are difficult to see at a glance.......then I have a BrowninG-invoiced #7 cowhide case (28" Superposed single) that has no stamp on the exterior.

Another acquaintance has a case that is stamped '8F' - which is 'faux' or textile leatherette.

So, at your convenience, please check your cases and share their numbers and respective configurations via private conversation. If it is no trouble, please share the outside overall dimensions of your cases, too. I’m trying to catalogue these cases so we can learn more about them.

Feel free to share this in a private conversation if you’d rather. Sources will remain confidential and I will be happy to distribute findings via private conversation to those who contribute information. I’m not inclined to post findings on the forum for the benefit of those disinclined to contribute or to participate in discussions on the forum. Thanks for your interest and assistance.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2023