Pre/Post 1958

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]

The Auto-5 got updated in 1958, and a lot of the new parts don’t work in the older guns. Just for fun, how many of the changes can you list from memory?
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Well, wasn't 1958 when the magnum started? If so, the receiver. Barrel, front wood, recoil spring(s),
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Speed load?
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yes but that was a whole new gun. I’m talking about the classic 12 and 16.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Speed Load debuted in late 1953.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thick rail breech block?
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That was a big one. Replacing a pre-‘58 locking block with a failed rail is almost impossible. If you can’t find one, you’ve got to replace both the locking block and the breech block. Pretty expensive.

This is a 1947 locking block with a failed rail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the tab for the fix if I couldn’t find the old part:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Another WAG. Pins instead of screws in the receiver for the mag cut off and that other thing on the side of reciever
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good one.

When I first dreamt up this thread, I had a list in mind. Today, for some reason I can’t remember them all. And the roll pin substitution was one I couldn’t think of.

For those who aren’t familiar, the magazine cutoff, cartridge stop, and carrier latch were held in place by screws that threaded into blind holes. Removing a corroded screw was difficult to impossible. The roll pins can be driven out if necessary because the holes are now drilled through.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Personally, I prefer the screws because roll pins can be a PITA. But I’ve never been confronted by a stripped or stuck one either.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  10. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Wasn't it sometime around then when Browning changed to the rounded corners on the ejection port?

Again, this is a closed book test, right?!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Another winner!

At least this change didn’t require different parts. And I don’t know why they didn’t make the change sooner. You would think those 90 degree corners would lead to stress cracks, though I’ve never seen any there.

The picture in the first post shows the square corners, this shot (Miroku-made, but it’s the best I can do) shows them rounded.

[​IMG]

It was closed book. But I’m changing the rules because I cheated and looked at the schematic. But there’s still two changes that no one has mentioned that I thought of before I looked. And at least one more that I was reminded of while on the MGW site.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  12. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Again, without looking at the bible, as I recall the pictures of the very first A5 Saint John built has cracks from one of the corners of the ejection port. You're right, that radius should have been added years ago. I own two that HAD cracks there, both from the 1920's. I repaired both.

And wasn't the serial number marking system changed to reflect the year made, such as a "9V" would have been made in 1959? That happened somewhere in there.

Darn it------I'm going to have to get the book out after all. Now I am curious what change you are talking about!!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You’re absolutely correct about the serial numbering system change. The letters were already established, but a single digit was added for the year.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Trigger guard? Thick tang?

Removing the carrier spring pins from the receiver?
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t know why they moved the carrier spring from the side of the receiver to the trigger plate. Probably to ease manufacture by eliminating the studs. But they also changed to a much smaller spring.

[​IMG]

The new springs can be made to work with the old guns — but I didn’t know that when the one on my 1957 Sweet Sixteen broke. The old carrier springs just weren’t available. Wolff has them in their catalog but were out of stock. I ended up modifying a Remington Model 11 spring, and it’s still in there. It took a lot of grinding to make it work. After it was fixed Wolff contacted me and told me they ran some springs, so I bought two. Later I saw in the service manual how to make the new springs work in the old guns. I like my solution better.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I forgot about the thick tang. Maybe if I was refinishing stocks like you are, I’d notice.

What change did they make to the trigger guard? I know the trigger spring was modified to hold the detent ball for the cross bolt safety in 1951. And the trigger plate was modified — I don’t know if it was in 1951 or ‘58 — because the new trigger spring didn’t have retention “ears”. Now it could be that that spring was modified in 1951 for the ball, and again in 1958 for the ears. I could rip apart one of my guns to find out, but I’m not in the mood.

The FSM has instructions for installing a new spring in an old gun. It involves drilling a hole in the trigger plate.

[​IMG]
  17. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Again, without going to the bible, wasn't the solid (actually hollow) rib discontinued around 1958 or so?
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Could be. but discontinuing an option isn't the same. There are still unmentioned changes, but you might have to look at a schematic to remember them all.

NO MORE CLOSED BOOK!
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You guys give up? I’ll post the one I was reminded of while looking at the schematic.

The left extractor was made beefier. A few years ago my ‘47 wouldn’t cycle anything but Federal shells. I was embarrassed when my friend, and not I, noticed that the left extractor was broken. So despite it being a PITA for those who own older Auto-5’s, it was a good change.
    [​IMG]

The Field Service Manual shows how to modify a new part to fit an old gun.

[​IMG]

This page also shows how to use the new carrier and trigger springs in the old guns.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Reading that manual makes me want to go try and convert one of my 16’s to speed load. Not sure I want that battle though