PICTURES 1924 16 Gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Jul 23, 2016.

1. PJS

PJS .22LR

I love it. I had to replace a missing mainspring screw, remove some pretty severe pitting, and glue three cracks in the original forend, but it’s all good. I feel fortunate to have found it.
  2. PJS

PJS .22LR

B359C886-3BD0-43AD-88DD-37B4374B1FD0.jpeg E60573F5-A394-4605-8DB0-67AE72D011B4.jpeg Here’s a few more pics 1106986F-1833-4823-A5DE-B98AC9662159.jpeg
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice. I have a 1909 16. It has the English straight stock. Still shoots flawlessly. It’s a little short for me, so I have a slip on pad on it. Sure get a lot of questions when it’s out on the skeet field.
  4. PJS

PJS .22LR

Where did you find the short shells for it?
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Rst Shotshell. They cater to the old doubles that need lower pressure. I also reload so I go between the both.
  6. Ranger6

I don’t shoot it a bunch. I have sweet sixteen also that gets more use. The old girl has full choke and not very well suited for skeet field. I’m looking for an old barrel that I can put chokes in, but as of yet I haven’t found one that will fit correctly.
  7. PJS

PJS .22LR

Thx Ranger......I ordered from them last week and I’m on back order for 3-4 weeks. I just ordered a case from Midway and will receive this Thursday. Only 2 cases left.
  8. Ranger6

I have a new case that’s not open yet. And if all else fails I can load some. I actually have to many A5’s to choose from. It’s a sickness. Looks like your infected also.
  9. PJS

PJS .22LR

Man, infected is right! I visited the original Browning home and shop built in the 1840’s in Nauvoo, Illinois a couple of months ago, got hooked on Browning’s then visited the Browning museum in Ogden, Utah last month. Been buying them up since then.
  10. Ranger6

Yea I hear ya. I tell most not to buy one unless they are ready to buy several. Most don’t listen, so guess the sickness is widespread. I just picked up an skb/410 last week. It’s beautiful with engraving and shoots well, but it’s not a browning. Very well made in Japan, hand fitted about 30 years ago. I guess my sickness is of the worst kind. And I have not had the chance to visit those places yet, but would love to go.
    Don’t know if you had a chance to meet some of the other regulars but good people with lots of knowledge.
  11. PJS

PJS .22LR

Is the 410 a Miroku? Good company, Browning does their homework. Looking forward to meeting the others. I just picked up a (four digit SN) pre-model Remington 11 with Browning patents stamped all over the barrel. I called Remington and they dated it at 1905, told me only about 6700 made for 2005/2006.
  12. Ranger6

Sounds about right for the model 11. No the 410 is SKB. They still make shotguns today, but from what I understand the quality has went to shit. Kind of like Remington
  13. PJS

PJS .22LR

What a beauty!
  14. PJS

PJS .22LR

I see that! You can see the barrel extension on mine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello PJS, and welcome.

Congratulations on your new treasure. Because the silver of the barrel extension is showing, it may have been modified to shoot 2 3/4” shells. The easiest way to tell is to look at the ejector. If it moves, it’s a 2 3/4” gun. If it hasn’t been modified, either the cap wasn’t tight in the pictures, or you’ve got problems.
    win7stw likes this.
  16. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I have a related question---
    With regards for the older Browning A5s (in this case 16 gauge models, but my question applies to all gauges), specifically ones made for NON- US markets, were the internal parts all the same as models offered in the USA--dimensionally speaking? Could any of the internals fit a US model the same as a Non-US model? I have wondered about that.
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

They’re all metric, Bill. Cosmetic differences only.

EXCEPT: Remington manufactured Auto-5’s made during WWII. Those are Model 11’s in A5-like markings.
  18. PJS

PJS .22LR

Thx. I’ll check it out.