PICTURES 1924 16 Gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I've posted a few pictures of this gun before, but I thought it deserved its own thread.

[​IMG]

After importing fewer than 3000 12 gauge Auto-5's in 1903, Browning changed the agreement with FN. Remington made a licensed copy for the U.S., and FN marketed to the rest of the world. That deal (and I believe the patents) expired after 20 years, and Browning resumed imports in 1923. The 16 gauge, designed in 1909, was significantly different than the 12. This is one of the first ones imported.
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Everything about it looks like it just came from the factory.

[​IMG]
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]
  5. Peckster

Peckster Copper BB

Beautiful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Awesome looking firearm Rudolph...
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thanks guys. I think the long barrel makes it look elegant. The barrel has a 2 9/16" chamber and a full choke, but I load short shells with a spreader and it does OK at Skeet. Not that I shoot it that often.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]

This address appeared on receivers from 1909 to 1948 on World Market guns, and until the early '30's on U.S. Imports.
    Rob poston, Wingman and kumpe like this.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]

The original butt plates were made of vulcanized rubber and said "Browning Automatic" in script. Sometime after imports stopped FN switched to their standard butt plate, made of horn, for the Auto-5. In 1924 the plates switched back to the original pattern, but mine didn't make the cut.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG]

The last 3 -4 digits of the serial number was stamped on the Operating Handle from 1923-30. The numbers survived on the on the Breech Block and Carrier Screws into the '50's.
    Spark plug likes this.
  12. Goose

Goose .410

Nice gun R31,......My old timer not so well loved and i'm not sure they should ever be restored like some i've seen,but bits for early A5's are scarce here in the UK.

Thats maybe why i see old guns on the scrap heap now over here as only ones that still work are on licence.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  13. kumpe

kumpe .410

Simply beautiful...
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The gun still has the square coil recoil spring. Conventional wisdom is to replace recoil springs every few years, but unless you're shooting heavy loads, I've found it isn't necessary.
    [​IMG]
    Goose likes this.
  15. Goose

Goose .410

I always check length of spring when relaxed nowadays( new spring 9 1/4"for 12 bore) ,my old timer kicked like a horse according to the previous owner. Fitted up the new spring mainly to keep the wood safe,the old spring was just under 9"[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

16 gauge Recoil Spring lengths are 8.6 inches.

The Action Spring needs attention too. Its probably the most neglected part of the gun. A new one is 13.25 inches and fits all gauges. I've neglected it on this one because I don't want to risk buggering up the the screws. But the gun is so clean and shot so seldom that I'm not worried about it.
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The checkering on the stock is different. According to S/V this style shows up on some early '20's Auto-5's. On the vast majority of guns the checkering on the left and right sides touches at the bottom. I think checkering was extra prior to 1923, and FN may have been experimenting before settling on a standard style.
    [​IMG]
    Spark plug likes this.
  18. Goose

Goose .410

don't blame you for saving the screw heads from damage,my turnscrews were made for fine slot many years ago in Birmingham so i could rebuild the old magnum. But now you can get nice sets that fit online if only my 1st computer got google.Bloody magic this new stuff with electrickery would have saved all the knackered screws.The last wood i got from Belgium has checkering like yours from 2001 i think its easier than crossing over the bulb but i'm going try it out on my next project you will probably here me swear in your part off the world.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looking forward to pictures of your project as you progress!
  20. Goose

Goose .410

got a 1970 A5 for spares but the internals are like new,the reason it came to me was a muppet with a big can of oil thought autos got oiled like engine parts then when his wood mushed it came to me he kept the gun muzzle up so the oil ran back into stock,seen a few like it.I have wood from Macon in Missouri got straight grain walnut when i spoke too April she knew pretty wood breaks on autos. Macon supply wood that needs finishing you just need to remove final 1/4" of timber for perfect fit.Been at it for ages but nearly done just thought its a gun for the grandkids one day.
    Rudolph31 likes this.