OLD BAR 30-06

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Bill Johnson, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson Copper BB

I just picked up a old BAR with serial number 166 M7. The wood on it is real light sandy colored with darker grain marks. Can any one tell me anything from the S/N ? It is Belgian made. Thanks for any info.
  2. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

Brownings website will help you!
    Congrats on a great gun! I just picked up the same from 1969 only in 308
    I am using mine for a back up gun for Colorado Elk hunt next week
  3. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson Copper BB

The Browning Website says my s/n 166 M7 was made in 1967 yet they say the BAR production started in 1968. Anyone got an explanation ??
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Got me....!!

Anyone...?
  5. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson Copper BB

The Browning Dateline says the BAR was Introduced in 1967 and went into Production in 1968. Guess my #166 was one of the first made for Introduction to the Public in 1967 ?
  6. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It seems as if browning started production on the bar at the end of 67 so it sounds like you got one of the very first BARs produced that year. Sounds like a lucky find to me. Good luck with it.

BTK
  7. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson Copper BB

Thanks. I'd like to sell this rifle. Any idea what it would be valued at since it was one of the first to be made?
  8. okpaddler

okpaddler Copper BB

Thanks for selling me that gun Bill, I love it, takes me back in time and is just like gandpas in the photos we have of him with his trophy's. :) it will be in the family for many years to come.
  9. okpaddler

okpaddler Copper BB

10. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson Copper BB

Of the two I offered , you picked the one I personally preferred . Hope you and your son enjoy it, especially with the history it has.