New to forum and have a question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Five forks, May 29, 2020.

1. Five forks

Five forks Copper BB

I stumbled into Browning Owners. Com a few weeks ago by accident. I have enjoyed reading all the post . I am a small collector of A5's, but as with most things its growing! So far there is one 1960 20ga, 1965 swt, 1959 swt, 1956 swt, 1954 standard, 1952 swt, and if memory serves, a 1939 stealth.
    My question is about a Browning made by Remington 16ga. I realize these guns are not overly collectable, but I think I want one. What would the value of one be in 90% condition in your collective opinions? Thanks for any help, Ken.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ken welcome. I would guess( Rudolph31 is the one to answer). About 300-600 range depending on barrel length, rib and if poly choke is installed. Now having said that, most want more then they are actually worth. Are we talking about fair market value, gun broker, or trade in at pawn shop? They won’t get the price of a browning, as you know, but nothing wrong with model 11. Especially in 16 gauge. If your thinking of adding a barrel with chokes, I haven’t seen as many Remington’s as Browning’s. Invector barrel for browning is about 450-650. What are they asking for it?
  3. Five forks

Five forks Copper BB

I thought it was worth $400 but he wants $600. I was thinking that I would offer $500 incl shipping. It has a 28" plain barrel, mod choke. So, I guess I'm looking for fair market value. If I get the gun, I will open up the choke to make it more useable to hunting quail and rabbit hunting. I don't plan to sell this gun or any for that matter. I shoot all of my guns and collect to suit me, not to make a profit. If I pay a little much its not the end of the world. When I'm gone, my wife can sell them. Funeral at 2:00, gun auction at 5:00!
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Around here (southwest Idaho) a Remington Model 11 or an "American" Browning would bring $250, Up to maybe $400---at the most.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Bill my estimate is big city price. I’m in Houston, 250 will get you a Mossberg, that may not work.

five forks- I think if it’s 90% then 450-500 sounds reasonable. With a good cleaning and some new springs it will make an excellent shooter. You can also have thin wall chokes installed. I feel the same way. May pay a little more, but I know I’m not gonna sell or make a profit.
  6. Five forks

Five forks Copper BB

Ranger6, I appreciate your thoughts and opinion.
  7. Ranger6

Let us know what you decide.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello and welcome.

Sometimes I think I should have an American Browning in my collection. They are a legitimate part of the story. But I just can’t get past the crummy looking (to me) engraving. And except for springs, it will use Model 11 parts. I must be in the majority here because there’s never been much collector interest in these guns.

Still, it’s a well made example of John Browning’s masterpiece. I think one in good condition’s value as a shooter tops out at around $400. I certainly wouldn’t pay more for one than a similar Model 11.

Here’s one on GunBroker where the minimum price is $625.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867894624

I can just about guarantee it will get no bids.

Here’s another, still overpriced:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869693216

And here’s a Model 11 for less than $300.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869413455

I think I’d rather have it than the others.
  9. Five forks

Five forks Copper BB

I have 2 model 11 sportman, a 20ga.and a 16ga with the three bird engraving on the receiver. I like the model 11 but it really doesn't compare to the Browning. Still, I think I would like having the "tweener" American Browning. Rudolph31, I agree that the engraving and blueing of the receiver on the Remingtons....less. Thanks!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

11. Biz

Biz 20g

I agree with Rudolph that a roll stamp engraving doesn’t compare to hand engraving and a majority of Browning lovers don’t own a so called American Browning. But to appreciate the collector value of that Remington made Browning, you have to go over the esthetic of the gun and place it into the context of WWII. At the time, raw material were rationed and all the gun factory were part of the war effort. Browning had to rapidly find a new supplier because the Fabrique National was supplying the Wehrmacht. The only option was to make a deal with is competitor Remington, which was already making a very similar shotgun. In a very short time Browning had to came up with a differentiated design adopted to the Remington means of production. I believe Browning fared well in this difficult situation. This is why in my opinion, all serious collector must have an American Browning. The essence of a collection is the history of each piece.

Here they are, the 1939 hand crafted Belgium made and the 1941 factory made American.

[​IMG]
    win7stw likes this.
  12. Ranger6

Hey fat girls need love too. As long as they go boom when there suppose to.
    win7stw likes this.
  13. Five forks

Five forks Copper BB

I offered the $500 and he took it. I like my Belgian made Brownings and I like my model 11 Remingtons. Time will tell on the American made Browning by Remington. Thanks for any and all opinions.
  14. Ranger6

Pictures?
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

Welcome to the forum Five Forks. If you have time to post some pics of your Browning that will be nice
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Welcome aboard. I think they are ugly as sin. However Biz is right and every collector should have one. Some day I will find one I like and that will be the gun I drag out on the rainy and snowy days.
  17. Five forks

Five forks Copper BB

My time will not be my own for the next couple of weeks, but when I have time and figure out how to post pictures, I will.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I like using Imgur for posting pictures
  19. Ranger6

hit the photo tab, upload it straight to forum. if the file is to large then you will have to use photo hosting site like win7 stated. I haven't had to do that since ripjack made some changes.