New to A5

Discussion in 'Browning Owners Site Support' started by Geerfd, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Geerfd

Geerfd Copper BB

I prefer an over and under, but just bought a 1965 A5. I shoot strictly 5 stand and sporting Clay's. In myCitori 725 o/u I shoot 1200 1 1/8 7 1/2. That doesn't allow the a5 to cycle properly. I have no idea what the friction rings can or will do. Like I said I'm an o/u fan, but really like shooting the A5.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

3. Geerfd

Geerfd Copper BB

As I stated, I'm an o/u guy. I know next to nothing about setting up the rings. The rings in your post look nothing like the ones in my gun.

Attached Files:

4. Geerfd

Geerfd Copper BB

I forgot to mention that mine is a Magnum.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s a big difference! Some guys get their Magnums to work with target loads, others don’t. Here’s the picture from the manual:

[​IMG]

Good luck!
  6. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .410

I just picked up another A5 magnum a week ago. Just for fun, I decided I would take it to my weekly "5 stand"--IF I could get it to shoot reliably with light loads. After grabbing a few boxes of "trap" loads, I headed to the dry hills behind my house.
    I started out setting it up for common magnum loads using both bronze friction rings (BFR), and my customary light application of oil (I use ATF ), which it definitely would NOT cycle-as expected and hoped for. Keep in mind magnum BFRs are only about half the length as non-magnum BRFs.
    ---Then I removed one BFR and two friction rings, placing the friction rings in between the spring and the receiver, which I usually do for light loads on a "standard" (no-magnum) A5. Using 1 1/8 oz, 2 3/4", 3 dram loads (at a claimed 1170 FPS), I had three out of 15 fail to eject. I knew then I was close.
    --- I removed the "extra" two friction rings and the BFR from in between the receiver and the spring, and tried again. I had one fail to eject out of about 20 rounds. Almost there.............
    --- Using the following combination: Spring (which measured correct new length----must have been a safe queen!) up against the receiver. On top of the spring I placed a friction ring, with one BFR, then the barrel. A "relatively" liberal application of ATF on the magazine tube--way more than I usually use. I shot 3 boxes and had absolutely no issues. I ran like a Swiss, uhhhhh, I mean like a Begium A5!! Did not skip a beat! Easy on the (artificial) shoulder, throwing the hulls about 8 feet away.
    Life is good. (But that 5stand thing taxes my calm.)
  7. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .410

I offer my apologies, as my post above should have been placed in the A5 section, not the Site Support section. (I've probably milked this new guy status as long as I can.)

Sorry.
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 .270 WIN

Add a light 12 spring and set it up for heavy loads to start. If necessary move to light load set up. My mag fires 7/8 oz