New style gas piston

Discussion in 'Browning Maxus Shotgun' started by krimmie, Feb 26, 2016.

1. krimmie

krimmie Copper BB

As I posted in the introduction forum, I just bought a Maxus from a friend that wasn't cycling light loads. Upon inspection, I noticed that the spring was broken inside the gas piston. Browning has sent me a new one, which I will try out this weekend.

The new piston fits tighter around the magazine tube than the original, so I'm wondering if anyone has noticed this, or will shooting it break it in some?
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Can't help you with that...I would only be guessing.

Try it and let us know...
  3. krimmie

krimmie Copper BB

Two rounds of skeet answered my question. I used Estate 1 1/8oz loads, no problems cycling with the 50 rounds fired. Next I will see if 1 oz cycles without issue....although this is my backup duck gun, so who cares?
    [​IMG]
  4. BWilson

BWilson Copper BB

I have that same gun I bought new in 09, I ran into the same issue and it seems that Browning had a bad run of the springs on the early guns, I replaced mine in 2010 and have not had a single issue since, I shoot everything from 7/8oz reloads to 1700fps Remington hypersonic 3 1/2 waterfowl loads, I since purchased a second Maxus Ultimate to give the old duck gun a break, I don't have the nearly the rounds through the new one as I do the Camo one but it's been great so far
  5. krimmie

krimmie Copper BB

Good deal B, my brother still has the old spring in his, but he hasn't had an issue; at least he knows what to do if he does.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Glad you got it solved...