New member in the Carolinas

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by Tennessean, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Tennessean

Tennessean .22LR

New member and proud owner of 1996 Auto_5 12 ga 30" barrel 1945 Auto_5 16 ga "Service member only" and a Savage Browning licence 12 ga Auto_5 !
    Rudolph31 and SHOOTER13 like this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...
    Tennessean likes this.
  3. Tennessean

Tennessean .22LR

Thank you!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I never heard of a "Service Member Only" edition. Details please!
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Was curious about that myself...
  6. Tennessean

Tennessean .22LR

Had to do some research myself. Once Belgium was liberated FN produced Browning A5 in 1944 and 1945 but only for servicemen My 16ga A5 has a serial number 127xxx I know it was acquired in 1945 directly from FN by a serviceman in the US Army.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. Tennessean

Tennessean .22LR

This Browning has a special history that I am putting together in a document. It served to feed American Army soldiers as they moved into Germany.
  8. Tennessean

Tennessean .22LR

9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

OK, I've read about those in S/V, but they didn't use that term. Pretty apt.
    Congratulations on owning one of the rarest Brownings. Do you have the GI paperwork?
  10. Tennessean

Tennessean .22LR

I do and photographs as well. The story behind this Browning makes it special and I continue to use it in the field as it was meant to be used.
  11. Tennessean

Tennessean .22LR

How is it one of the rarest?
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don't think that many GI's bought those guns, so they're pretty rare. At least, I've never seen one. The S/V book has pictures of some that were engraved by master engraver Felix Funken. If your gun is in nice shape and you have the Bring-Back papers, you have a great collectible. If it's been engraved by M. Funken, you have a very valuable collectible.

I'd like to hear the story if you know it.
    Anatidae likes this.
  13. Tennessean

Tennessean .22LR

It is a field gun and not engraved. This gun never left the possession of the original owner until his recent passing.
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Do you have any pictures of the firearm and the paperwork...!?

I sure would like to see it...
  15. Tennessean

Tennessean .22LR

It was just recently put into my custodianship from the family. The GI told me the story of how he acquired it and for the purpose of its use. I recognized this is a very special Browning and the family appreciated my feelings when they placed me with the responsibility of possession. This Browning looks like any other well used field gun. Always used and never refinished.