New Guy with price question

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by ffjoey, Sep 20, 2013.

1. ffjoey

ffjoey Copper BB

Hello all, first post here. I have always wanted a BAR and found one in a local pawn shop and want to know the approx. value. It is a grade I Belgium made in Portugal marked rifle in .308. It looks to be well used for hunting, stock, forearm, and metal have some scratches. Receiver and barrel has a lot of light rust freckling. I think it's a Mark II lightweight as the receiver is more light gray in color than the barrel and the barrel is 20". I am looking for something I can hunt with and not worry about banging up so I'm ok with the aesthetics. The asking price is $475 which I'm not sure is a good price or not, I know a lot about bolt gun values but NOTHING about values of BARs and the auction sites prices are really nutty. Thank you, Joe
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey Joe, welcome to the browning Owners community!!! from your description above 475 seems reasonable for to me. I have seen similiar BAR 308 in good condition sell in the 550-650 range so 475 doesnt seem to unreasonable. I guess the big factor is the rust you mentioned. how does the internals of the BAR look? that could change things, if it seems to be a rust bucket on the inside.
  3. ffjoey

ffjoey Copper BB

Thanks for the welcome and input. I went back to check it out again and decided to pass. It is rusty into the barrel crown and the action is filthy. Whoever had it hunted it hard and never cleaned it. Seemed to function just fine but I would rather spend another hundred or so for one that has been cared for.