New guy from Idaho.

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by Bill Idaho, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Born and raised on the south side of Chicago, moved to Idaho in 1980. Retired a few years ago after 24 blissful years as a county deputy on the SWAT team as a sniper. (Before that a gunsmith, certified machinist and welder.)
    Got my first A5 back at the gun shop I worked at (in Peoria,Il ) in about 1977. That was somewhere around 15-20 A5s ago!! I "collect" only Belgium A5s, although there may or may not be one lone Japanese one in one of my safes. (What was I thinkin' ?)

In my very humble opinion, (Belgium) Browning A5 shotguns have something no other shotgun has----a "soul". There is something about them-- their lines, the feel, the sheen, the recoil, the history-- that instills a warmth in my heart. I own a couple of hundred guns, including some class 3 stuff, but none of the others have that "soul".
    Admittedly the vast majority of my A5s are in fact safe queens, but in the last couple of years (since I retired) I have added another shooting discipline to my hobbies---sporting clays and 5 stand. I now have about three different A5s that I choose from when I shoot clays. It is as much fun to talk to guys wondering about "that ol' Browning" than it is actually breaking clay birds! Especially when I tell them that particular shotgun is 80 years old!
    I have tried to learn as much as I can possibly absorb about A5s, but alas, it is just like when I got my HAM license, the more I have learned, it turns out the less I know. I have a pretty good recall on the serial numbers, so I can pick one up and date it within a few years before I have to pull out my phone and actually look up the number for an exact year.

Thank you for allowing to me to become a member, I will stay in my lane and make no waves.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Welcome, Bill. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your collection!

[​IMG]
  3. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator

:welcome:

Howdy, welcome to the club.
    Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.
    Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere...
    Cheers!
    :cheers: