New Gun Won't Cycle Snap Caps

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Toakey, May 3, 2017.

1. Toakey

Toakey .22LR

Just bought a new 1911-380 and it won't manually cycle snap caps. It feeds the first snap cap when I slingshot the slide, and racking the silde will eject the dummy round but wont feed the next round in the mag. It get hung up on the feed ramp.

I've never tried the snap caps in a semi-auto before. I bought them for a revolver. I decided to try them because I found a lot of ammo feeding problems mentioned when I Googled this gun. My 1911-22 that I bought last year is flawless. I assumed that the 380, made by Browning would also be problem free. I'm not overly concerned because 1. The weight (and size?) of the dummy rounds are a lot different than real ammo, 2. The gun hasn't gone thru any break-in, 3. I didn't clean it before trying the Snap caps. I'll clean it this weekend and take it to the range next week. I'll also search this forum for comments on feeding issues for this gun.

Just wondered if anyone else has tried manually cycling snap caps.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Snap Caps are NOT made to be cycled from a magazine...

You just put one in the chamber and pull the trigger to release the tension on the firing pin spring...then take them out when the firearm is to be used with real ammo.

They will eject off the extractor in a semi-auto...if there is one in the chamber...but they are NOT to be cycled from a magazine.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
    Toakey and Rob poston like this.
  3. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Humm... ya just learned me somethin'.
    I did not know this, myself. I admit, I have cycled snap caps from the magazine before. Will this damage them somehow?