Need advice, XBolt or ABolt 338.

Discussion in 'Browning A-Bolt Rifle' started by CanadianMac, Nov 25, 2012.

1. CanadianMac

CanadianMac Copper BB

I'm planning on purchasing my next Browning for hunting elk, moose and bear. I am leaning towards the 338 caliber. Can anyone share their experience / advice if they own one? Accuracy, recoil, relaibility?

Is it a good idea to get it equipped with the BOSS or without?

Thanks
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum CanadianMac !!

I've heard nothing but good things about the caliber...
  3. huntinslabs

huntinslabs Copper BB

I personally favor the A Bolt simply because I have owned 8 of them over the years and all have been far more accurate than I can shoot. Had 1 with the boss and did work as stated but you really need a very sturdy bench and extremely good rest to remove all variables when dialing in. Now if I feel a need, I have an aftrrmarket like KDF installed and work around with ammo. Dont feel the Boss is as good at recoil reduction as others. Have not held or shot an X Bolt but I do like the scope base mounting with 4 screws. And also have heard nothing but praises from people with a true need for the. 338 mag.
  4. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I think you cant go wrong with either X-bolt or A-bolt, but i favor the x-bolt for two reasons: the feather trigger system and the detachable magazine that comes with the x-bolt. Never shot a browning with the BOSS system so not sure if it is worth it or not. What model are you thinking of going with (stalker, Medalion,etc...)?

BTK