Need a new Auto 5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Aug 26, 2021.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I need another one like I need a hole in the head. My LGS has a nice Twenty but they are asking $1200 and I can’t get it out of my head. Do you guys have any go to online stores for me to check out? If you are out and about and find a nice 16 or 20 and don’t want it let me know
    Rudolph31 and KyBoB like this.
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

Justin, it seems you need your fix. I know the feeling.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think it would help me get over Covid faster
    KyBoB likes this.
  4. Biz

Biz 20g

Hunting starting here in two weeks my friend, that will help to get over. Hopefully the fourth wave will short.
    win7stw likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve been shooting my 20 lately. It was in a local pawn shop, I forget what they were asking, but it looked bad. The polyurethane finish was all cracked and flaking off. It looked like the stock had leprosy. The metal was OK. I offered $500 “out the door” and he took it.

A friend offered to refinish the stock. He also recut the checkering. And now the gun looks pretty good.

Keep visiting pawn shops. You never know what you’ll run across.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Any 20 gauge around here won’t last a day. It’s unreal how fast they get snatched up
  7. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Same here. Especially Belgium with roundknob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

A buddy found a Super Lightweight 20 gauge for me. The shop it’s at is closed for the day. Hoping to get pictures on Monday. Lots of conflicting info out there on the alloy receivers. The price is right on this one too.
    KyBoB likes this.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I wish that gun in the second link was a little nicer…..
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Never knew ( or heard ) of alloy receivers on any 20 ga A5’s. The new A5’s yes but they’re only in 12, 16 ga.
    Looking forward to pics and more info.

12. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

14. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I had a 1988 DU in 12 and it was not stainless. I have seen pictures of the stainless receivers and they were not DU guns. The one win7 listed on GI is beautiful, but for 7000 seems kinda steep. His other listing is for 7200. Maybe someone will help him retire.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  15. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Agree. I’ve also seen several DU guns and I don’t believe they are stainless.
    Nitride plating perhaps. And very nice engraving. The 2018 (99%) sure of the year DU Sweet Sixteen is one of the new A5 alloy frame guns. I’ve shot one of the new A5 12 gauge guns and I like them. I’ve found a new A5 ( used but 99% cond ) in Sixteen but it doesn’t come with the choke tube wrench or the extra chokes. Temped for sure.

16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m sure there was never a stainless steel Auto-5. But it is an indication that the seller doesn’t know what he has.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The Super Lightweight I’m interested in no where near 7000. If it’s in good shape I might have to do it. Hunting with a 5-1/2 pound gun sounds nice to me
    Ranger6 likes this.
  18. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

The new A5 ( alloy frame ) Sweet Sixteens are 5lb 12 oz.
    That sounds appealing.

19. KyBoB

KyBoB .410

Also, why they haven’t introduced a new A5 in 20 ga is a mystery to me.

20. Biz

Biz 20g

In Europe they were the 20 ga Super Allégé (Super lightweight) but I think it was offered only in high grade. You can see them on this 1976 catalogue in French. Unfortunately I don’t have the English version, but Rudolph can confirm.

Attached Files:

KyBoB likes this.