Mystery F/N Superposed

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by Alexander Drotschmann, Aug 21, 2018.

1. I have a little bit of a challenge for superposed experts here on this forum. I am no newbie to the Browning superposed/B-25 and know a fare bit about the Browning guns, but this one has me wondering and its a gun my family owns. The shotgun I am talking about has been in y family since the early/mid 70s. My dad bought it used. And I was the one shooting it growing up and in competition before I moved to the US 30 years ago. Since I am from Germany and that;s where the gun still is, it is a FN superposed, not Browning branded official US import. It is a pre-1971 gun since it still has the barrel engraving Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre before the renaming of the company in October 1971 and I believe it is post-1966 gun because I believe it is a short tang gun. It is a 12 gage standard (no or little engravings/blued receiver) , square knob with highly unusual 74" / 86 cm barrels with full/full choke, which is super unusual in my view, but would of course make it a trap gun. The serial number is 51815NT also a number that does not follow Browning protocol and I am stumped to be able to determine what it is by the serial number. It is definitely a FN superposed as the non-removable and typical superposed forearm attachment shows. Unfortunately I have currently no pictures or more info since the gun is in storage, but I will see it in November when I go back to visit my folks. Anyone able to help out in the meanwhile? Thank you!
  2. Hallo! Thanks for posting, I love a good Superposed mystery. Could your gun be a Liege, aka the B-26, which was a lower-cost gun ? The B-26, or "Liege" as it was called, was a low cost Superposed with Flat Knob/Short Tang, assembled in Herstal in 1973, but it suffered from quality issues and didn't last long. Trap models had 30 inch barrels with 3-inch chambers, while the 28 an 26 1/2 inch bbl models used the normal 2/34 in chambers.

Check your measurements, you say 74 inches but that must be a typo, that would be 6 feet 2 inches long.

The NT serial number is what makes me think it might be a B-26 Liege, as that does not fit the normal Superposed serial number formula.

Weidsmanheil!
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

86 centimeters=33.858 inches
  4. Beam me up Scotty :) This is not a Browning branded Superposed, but a Germany sold FN branded Superposed model (EU and RoW superposed) and I hear FN did not follow the Browning serial numbering system, but I am not sure. The gun is definitely not a Liege/B-26/B-27 since it has the so unique "forward sliding, non-removable" forearm that came ONLY on the Superposed. Browning US import Liege/B-26 as well as EU B-27 models, the forearm came off like with most double barrel shotguns. Also, please note this is a pre-1971 gun as the manufacturer engraving still reads "Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre". The company name was changed in October 1971 to "Fabrique Nationale Herstal" No Lieges had the former barrel engraving since all were made from 1973 to 1975 under the new company name.

Yes the barrel length was a typo! They are metric 86 cm barrels or 34" of length. Sorry!! This is also super unusual. I could nowhere find superposed guns with such a long barrel, then again FN would make what the customer ordered.