My New Browning A5 Problem

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by DJDAWG, May 29, 2017.

1. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Purchased the gun - Feb. 2017. The last time out was the first time I had problems. I have read about issues with this gun - some of the guns mfg. early. Will try several different shells/loads and report back.
    Thanks for all the information, very informative!
  2. lou fava

lou fava .410

Good to hear.....Browning wouldn't tell me what their gunsmiths did to my gun, apparently its a liability issue Browning's reason being they want to know first hand what issues their firearms are having and be the first to fix them.

For whatever reason these guns seem to be very finicky when it comes to oiling. I grew up in a "shotgun only" hunting state, and have numerous shotguns from semi auto, to pumps, and double barrels I've always cleaned all of them the same way in my opinion I didn't feel as I was over oiling my A5, but after the second time I got the gun back from Browning they enclosed specific oiling instructions basically saying to pull the bolt back to lock position, apply 2 drops of oils to each track the bolt rides in, and slowly work the bolt back & forth a few times.
  3. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Thanks for the message back, Lou.

Have not inspected the action spring since I bought the gun. Can't imagine the factory improperly oiling the spring et al.

Had respondent, on another site , relaying the same oiling message as yours. Will try this - perhaps tomorrow.

Jon
  4. lou fava

lou fava .410

I may have applied a slight bit more oil than Browning's newly specified recommendations, but I am also fairly confident there were more issues regarding the cycling problems my A5 was having.

Long story short... from jump street I felt the bolt on my A5 closed much slower than my other semi-auto guns, and after receiving the gun back Browning tech I see a noticeable difference in the force the bolt slams shut with I also think they either sharpened or replaced the shell extractor (hook on end of bolt that pulls spent shell from chamber)

As far as spring being improperly oiled from Browning, I have heard & not sure how true this is that when the guns are assembled there is a heavy lube applied to the spring again not sure how true this is but from what I am told its done to protect the spring while the gun is warehouse before its gun is sent to dealer
  5. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Lou,

Will inspect the spring...

Did you send the gun back yourself or did you have to use a dealer? If yourself, how did you box the gun?

Thanks
  6. lou fava

lou fava .410

I have to say I never physically inspected the spring myself, but I am fairly positive Browning cleaned it when I returned the gun to their service deptment

I sent the gun directly to Browning, didn't see the need to involve the dealer.

Here is a link http://www.browning.com/support/parts-service.html print out the service return form and fill it out. Call Browning 800-322-4626 the will send you a box to pack the gun in as well as pre-paid return postage.....have your guns serial # handy when you call
  7. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Thanks, Lou. They have an authorized repair dealer here in MN.. Why not use them?? Have used them over the years for other Browning guns. Do they insist this gun be returned? Just wondering...
  8. lou fava

lou fava .410

Honestly I just felt more comfortable knowing the gun was going directly to and being serviced at the Browning repair facility. Maybe I'm just a worry wort but I figured if the gun never operated correctly even after going back to Browning all of the service details would be documented in Browning system in turn one less provider to deal with if it came to a warranty gun replacement or refund

I never had problems with any firearms I previously purchased (browning or other brands) so to answer your question I have not used them over the years but I have to say I would not hesitate to use them again if need be.

I would have to think they will want to see the gun
  9. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Wait til they see this gun...it's been altered due to a disability I have - bone cancer operation in 2002.

The gun has a rail and collapsible arrangement on the forend - a handle, similar to an assault gun. The rear stock has been shortened and the comb cut to accommodate another handle. My hand needs to be on this handle all the time, otherwise I can't reach the trigger and safety.

About 40% of my shoulder is missing including the deltoid muscle, hence the alteration. It works well, but looks like an abomination! I can only reach my right arm to my waist...

Probably more info than you wanted!

Tomorrow I give it a test with 1 oz. ammo and see if it hangs. Appreciate your info and guidance!

Looks like you are from NJ. I worked for a firm that had their headquarters in Rutherford - Becton-Dickinson..

Jon
  10. lou fava

lou fava .410

WOW!!! you definitely got some mods going on there.

Good luck with the test, keep me posted

Ya I'm a Jersey boy but from the southern tip Cape May County across the bay from Delaware...Rutherford is a good 3 hours north of me I've had the non pleasure of going there once
  11. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

will do.

Jon
  12. jONNYB

jONNYB .22LR

Lou,

Just returned from shooting two boxes of 1 oz. through the gun...not good! About 10 shell were left in the chamber, not extracted.

Called Browning and they said to ship it back and they will repair. I think this has been an ongoing problem; the fellow said they automatically change the extractors regardless...even though that's not the reported issue.

About a 4 week turnaround - lucky I have two other guns to shoot.

Jon
  13. Big Moe

Big Moe .22LR

I got my A-5 about 2 weeks before last hunting season started. Shoot at a buck and emptied my gun and didn't touch him. Came home and pattern my A-5 and it was shooting to the right. Took it back to my gunsmith and he sent it back to Browning. They received the gun December 18th and still waiting in line to be tested in the tunnel. Told me it would be 4 to 6 weeks. Hopefully I hear something in a few days.
  14. lou fava

lou fava .410

Sorry to hear about the issues with you A5. This is the first I’ve heard anyone having an A5 that doesn’t shoot straight, in fact that’s about the only complaint I don’t have when it comes to my A5.

What brand & load of buckshot were you shooting?

Did you shoot with the factory Browning Invector DS choke?

If you’ve read back through this thread you will see I’ve sent my A5 back twice previously for cycling issues each time I got it back it seemed to operate a little better but far from flawless & at the price of these guns I expect nothing less than flawless. That being said after receiving the gun back from Browning for the second time I ran a multitude of loads through the gun to test its operation all lighter load seemed to cycle, I had a 00 buck & #4 turkey load jam on me. I should have sent the gun back right then for the third time, but figured I just shot 50 different rounds through the gun & it only jammed twice.

I deer hunted with my A5 this past buck season (remember this is after two trips back to Browning for cycling issues) shot a buck first day thankfully my gun shots straight because the first shot 3.5” 00 Winchester Super X knocked the deer right down and most likely didn’t need a second shot but the deer was doing a little flopping around & figured I’d let him have a second shot to end the suffering & guess what “CLICK” gun jammed!!!! I quickly manually ejected the jammed shell & cycled another shell in to finish the deer off, but that was it for hunting with the A5 used my trusty and well proven 1980’s version Franchi 48AL 3” magnum for the rest of the week which I killed my second buck of the week with….ohhh and the gun operated flawlessly.

After buck week I sent my A5 back for the third time, both our guns are probably sitting next to each other as I sent mine back on 12/20 at which time I was told the same 4 to 6 week turnaround time which I was fine with as I have no need for the gun until turkey season gets here in May

I called Browning last week just to check on progress & was told the gun was still in line to go through the gunsmith for testing.

All in all I really don’t know if I want this particular gun anymore. I’ve already made it very clear to Browning rep that I will not send the gun back for a fourth time I either want the gun replaced or my money refunded
  15. lou fava

lou fava .410

This thread is probably on life support but I promised an update when I had one worth mentioning

I sent my A5 back for the third time just after buck week in December 2017 with ongoing cycling issues. (Read back through the thread if you want the long of it)

I called Browning late January 2018 to check progress and was told the gun was in queue to be checked by gunsmiths but it being the busy time of the year it had not been worked on so I waited another month and called Browning March 1st at which time I was again told the gun was in queue to be checked by gunsmiths but still had not been looked at.

With turkey season right around the corner I told the customer service rep this was the third time in a year and a half of owning the gun that it had been back to Browning for cycling issues and asked if there was any way to have my gun put through as a priority. Apparently at this point the representative was able to see the history of my gun in his computer system and told me he would defiantly put it through as a priority.

I also made it very clear that it’s been costing me a small fortune in ammo just testing the gun every time it came back from Browning service, and I would have to go through the same testing again. Shooting everything from 2-3/4” low brass target loads all the way up to 3.5” 00 buck (and everything in-between) He told me he didn’t think the extreme testing I was going to put the gun through would be necessary my response was I spent $1600 on a gun I have zero confidence in and there is no way I can comfortably hunt with it without proving to myself it was 100% his response was “if you feel you’ve lost confidence in the gun would it be OK to send a new replacement gun?’ He told me it would take 2 – 3 weeks to process but he felt it was the best option so I took it.

Just received the gun yesterday looks just as pretty as my original. Browning sent me the gun, choke tubes, trigger lock, shims, and case just as if I purchased it from a gun shop which I thought was pretty cool because I still have everything (other than the case) from my first gun.

Plan now is to clean the shipping grease & take it shooting within the next week…stand by for the results.
  16. DJDAWG

DJDAWG .22LR

"stand by for the results."
    Iam standing by .......LOL
    I had alot of trouble with mine , but have the issue fixed by my gunsmith ......... apparently I had oil in the recoil spring area and there suppose to be dry .....
    Ive shot numerous rounds and it has run great , no problems .......other than a weak shell probably couple times ........
    I use mine for sporting clays mainly so I shoot 1- 1/8 oz 3 dram shells through mine with no problem.
    Its my fav. shotgun.
  17. lou fava

lou fava .410

I haven't got out to the range with my replacement A5 yet, hope to this coming weekend.

Glad to see yours was a simple fix. I cant imagine after sending my gun back to Browning twice that oil on the recoil spring was what was causing the cycling issues with my first gun. I know I'm only assuming but I'd have to think the Browning gunsmith would look at & if needed clean the recoil spring at least one of the two times they had the gun in their possession.

When I spoke to the Browning rep. that handled my gun replacement he mentioned keeping the spring dry so I asked him if he thought I should inspect & clean the recoil spring on the replacement gun when I received it, mainly because he brought up the fact that the spring "must be dry" and those guns are lathered up with cosmoline from the factory. He told me clean the receiver with a good gun scrub or CRC brakleen but not to use RemOil or anything with Teflon. Clean the barrel with Hoppes #9 with a rod & patch or bore snake he said I shouldn't have to do anything to the recoil spring as they are dry from the factory.