My impression of my new 1911 380.

Discussion in 'Browning 1911 - 380 Handgun' started by Scott Seibert, Oct 5, 2018.

1. I am not a big gun guy but have owned a number of hand guns and rifles over the years. When we sold our stix and brix about 6 years ago and started to live full-time in our motor-home, I sold all of my firearms and purchased a Ruger SP-101 revolver and a Marlin 1894 lever actioin rifle as my personal protection firearms. Both chambered for 38 Spec and 357 Magnum. I have been carrying my Ruger from time to time, as we travel, and determined that it was too big and too heavy for everyday carry. A few weeks ago, as we were sitting around a pick nick table, a friend pulled out his Black Label Medallion Pro and upon holding it I decided that I had to have one. Just felt great in my hand.

It arrived last week and have put about 350 rounds through her so far. Have shot all kinds of ammo through her and have no complaints. I would like to say that my groupings were within a 3" circle at any distance at the range, but I hit the target pretty much where I wanted. During those 2 range visits I had a couple of FTF and 1 FTE. All in all a pretty good showing.

I find the pistol lovely to hold and shoots very smooth. I think it is more accurate than I am capable of shooting. When I get some more rounds through her I hope she will become my EDC.

For the last 6 to 8 months I have been bouncing around the small Rugers, Kimbers, Sigs and every other firearm manufacturer in that Compact/Subcompact class in 380 as well as 9mm and decided on the Black Label. Then it was just a matter of deciding which model I wanted and how much it would cost. I did spend more than I wanted to pay. Just a hair under $600. Also purchased a couple of extra mags so I will have 4.

Just wanted to thank this forum membership for sharing their experiences with their small caliber sidearms - both positive and negative.

BTW - I did research the heck out of this purchase and spent a fair bit of time with a great Tech at Browning regarding all of the positive and negative reports on this weapon.

Thanks again y'all. :-D
  2. I like the pistol but very much dislike the fact that there is pretty much no aftermarket support for it (at present) and except for springs, magazines and maybe sights....you can't get anything from Browning either. You have to send the pistol in for most replacement parts.
    KD6EVH likes this.
  3. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

It seems to me that since this pistol has been on the market for several years now there should be more after market support for it beside a few (FEW!) holsters and dozens of places that make grips for it. It seems that not many people are buying either the 1911-380 or the 1911-22 or there would be more after market "stuff."

I'm going to make more phone calls this week AGAIN to see if I can get through to Browning since last week "no one lived there" last week, or that is how it seemed. My fiber optic sights are mismatched. It is not me: I had other people shoot it from bench rest and standing in addition to the over 400 rounds I've put through it myself. It shoots close to 3" high at around 8 yards and that is ridiculous. At 15 yards it shoots a lot higher than that.

I really want to like this gun! I'm basically having to shoot it almost one handed, with support hand being more of a useless teacup grip due to the grip being SO SKINNY. I have the full size version, gray slide. I'll probably spend some bucks to buy fatter/thicker grip panels from the one place on line that has them and hope that helps
  4. cavelamb

cavelamb .22LR

The only part that may need periodic replacement is the spring guide.
    Depending on the ammo used?

I was shooting Aguila SSS (60 grain!) in my 1911-22 and chewed the guide rod up some.
    Was thinking this is a perfect part for a 3D printer to make.

Anybody got a printer???
  5. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

6. bulova collector

bulova collector Copper BB

Just picked up a clean used 380. So far 50 rds with no issues.
  7. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

I did get a return label from Browning and they "recalibrated the barrel" on my gun. Not sure what that means but it shoots to point of aim now instead of way high at only 7 yards. If you get one that shoots spot on from day one, you've got a really nice, fun little gun.

I was able to add clear plastic spacers under the grip panels of my gun but the grips still feel too thin for me. Not sure why that is. Weather is terrible so haven't been able to shoot it for several weeks and need to get it out and working more.
  8. I'd be interested to know what they do to 're-calibrate' a barrel as mine shoots a full 3" high. I would think it would have something to do with the lockup or barrel bushing. Please report back when you have time to shoot yours more. Let us know how it is doing.

Mine has had several light primer strikes recently. I also have one magazine that is giving me trouble (slide will not lock back on the last shot with this mag). Really wish some aftermarket springs were available (mag springs, recoil springs, hammer springs).
  9. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

I am pleased with where the gun shoots now - given my personal shooting abilities. I'm shooting my regular size group BUT the center of it is where I line up the sights now and not way high! I have absolutely no idea what recalibrate the barrel means, and put a question re that on another forum. No one there had any idea either.

I have periodic slide failure to lock back when slide is empty but it doesn't seem to be confined to one magazine. I've been shooting Aguila Super Extra through this gun because they will feed (vs. my Ruger Mark IV which is spastic at best). I also have a S&W M&P .22 compact and it is trouble free, non ammo picky, etc. With CCI Mini Mags "sometimes" the slide locks back and sometimes it doesn't.

I did shoot 6 different brands through this gun before sending it back to Browning, and a couple brands did not lock the slide back when the mag was empty. However, I did NOT shoot more than 2 magazines of all those other brands so that is not a fair test.

Light primer strikes I've experienced with any of my .22 guns have been with CCI Mini Mags. Interesting because they are supposed to be the gold standard for range ammo that is reasonably priced. We're talking perhaps 1 or at most 2 rounds out of a hundred and no consistency.....just sometimes it happens.

I have found that there virtually NO replacement parts for the .22 or the .380 version of this gun. And there is NO holster that I can use. The very few that are available are either Kydex (IMO, an insult to a nice 1911) with retention devices that I couldn't use OR leather that is canted and no way can I use any cant on a holster due to limited hand and arm movement.

It IS a nice gun, but had I known "then" what I know now I would not have bought it.
  10. cwmoss

cwmoss Copper BB

Just purchased a 1911-380, just because it felt good in my hand and looked great. It is very accurate, but, doesn't cycle all types of ammo reliably. Might just be the magazine lip width I have been reading about, mine are a bit wide. So I'll be doing more reading and shooting it a bunch more, (it is so much fun to shoot), and se if this clears up, if not, back to Browning it will go.
  11. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

A friend made a really great holster for me and I bought a new Armour belt to go with it. Unfortunately the box which is supposed to upload a picture from your computer does NOT work for me at all. I did a thread on another forum with the pictures included, so here is the link, which may or may not show the pictures for you:
    https://www.personaldefenseforum.ne...iny-New-Shootin-Outfit&highlight=holster 1911

The holster is curved at the top to make the back conform to the curve of my hip/waist so the gun hangs straight down and does not stick out at the bottom.

Attached Files:

12. KD6EVH

KD6EVH .22LR

I hate to say it, but I have been back to my Glock 42. The Browning turned out to lack both accuracy and reliability. It is good for the first shot, but the shots after that start getting iffy. As far as the accuracy, I guess I am just spoiled by other 1911 pattern pistols, and my Glock, and my Walther, and my . . .

Really, I wanted to like it. However, it is not a gun I would take to a class, or trust.
  13. bulova collector

bulova collector Copper BB

I had one for about 3 months. Cute little 1911 but I prefer the full size ones. Fit and finish was not that great especially on the slide.Traded for a Springfield Armory 5" Range Officer in 9mm. I use it for IDPA.
  14. Ran across this thread while I was looking around. Sorry I did not get back sooner with a response.

Thought I would give an update.

Shortly after I purchased this pistol I was diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder called Myasthenia Gravis. Among other not so nice symptoms, double vision occurs. So this piece has had little use.

I probably put 400+/- rounds through it before my eyes went wonky so the pistol was put away. After some treatment the double vision went mostly away. During those 400 rounds I also had numerous misfeeds and read lots of threads on the hows and whys of misfeeds and other feed issues with this firearm.

I am just getting back to work with this firearm. I have purchase 3 more magazines and will shoot it a bunch. I have found a gunsmith in the area who says that he specializes in 1911s and when the misfeeds happen next, I will take it and the magazines to him for adjustments.

The design lines and function I really like. Just fits my hand. If I can not feel confident, it will be sold and replaced with one that is reliable. The question is can what needs to be done, be done, and how much will it cost. Then, how many rounds will I need to put through it for me to fee confident that it will shoot when I want it to.

I had been ccing with a Ruger sp101 and had to have BLMP when I saw it and felt it in my hand.

Anyway, the new mags will be here this week so ..... We shall see.

Scott
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. One of my Son's friends is a gunsmith and specializes in 1911s'. He is familiar with this pistol.

Sent it to him to ""fix". I would love for this pistol to be reliable. If it's not, it's got to be sold. If I were a collector, I would keep it. I am not and will use the funds to purchase something else.
  16. Up date -
    Gunsmith still has this pistol and I got tired of waiting for it so I bought a Sig P365. Out of the 300 rounds I've put through it - nary a hiccup.
    When the gunsmith gets done with it I will decide what to do. I had asked him to go through it and make whatever adjustments to make it a good reliable pistol.
    It is a beautiful Gentleman's pistol but I do not think I can trust it.
    How many pistols do I need?
    Scott
  17. ShooterGranny

ShooterGranny .270 WIN

Gosh, Scott, I'm really sorry to hear that your Browning continued to be so unreliable for you! It really is a nice gun when it works! I had to grin when I read "How Many Pistols do I need?" For some folks the answer is one, but for others the answer can be over a couple hundred. For me, I subscribe to the old "Two is one, one is none" - which is proved by your one Browning which became none when it wouldn't work right. For one gun, I extend that to 3 of that particular gun since I really, really, really like it. It's SIG's P238, and it looks like SIG will be totally discontinuing it soon, so I'm glad I have as many as I do, plus extra springs, etc. that I ordered for future use.
  18. I did not wish to deceive but I also have a Ruger SP101 that matches my Marlin 1894C, a 22 Buckmark, my Sig 365 and the prettiest one, my 1911 380. I too have acquired some spare parts for all. "-)
    ShooterGranny likes this.
  19. Fletch in Cinti

Fletch in Cinti Copper BB

I have my fair share of 1911s, so of course I wanted the .380. Sadly I got one that wasn’t so accurate For anyone that shot it. I sent it done the road .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk