My first sixteen gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

Hello everyone,
    I have never been a 16 gauge fan, I am not a refined hunter like you guys. I like to fool those big hunkers and black ducks with decoys. For that kind of hunt, you need the big gun with heavy load. But I have to face the reality, The nicest antique auto-5 are in 16 gauge. So here we go, if everything goes as planned, I should get to my door in four months this nice type 2. Justin, this is not the one you’re after.
    6F9EFB59-CA29-4188-9A9B-8181FEBCE4D2.jpeg 2F8C29A7-F159-4EDD-9074-FAE6AE39BAD6.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    win7stw likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice. That’s the one I was after(lol). I’m an auto 5 guy, don’t care 12-16-20, however, every man, woman and child should have the pleasure of owning and shooting a 16 gauge. Good score!
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Damn Marc that is beautiful. How does the stock look? Is it a straight stock? What year is it?

I need to pursue that other gun. Would you be willing to help me out if I need some help with translating?
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Guaranteed that won’t be your last 16
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

I agree with you Ranger, this is a pleasure to shoot an auto-5. Justin you’re probably right, the four others type or grade I want to acquire, seems to be available only in 16 gauge. When I get better pics I will post them. The present 16 gauge is a 1922, straight grip. It appears that the gun was well maintained. Can’t wait to get it.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Congratulations, Biz! I hope you find one of every “Type”.

Now you’re going to have to start reloading for the short shells.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

Justin, you know you can count on me and I will be happy to help the other members of our forum.

Regarding the short shells, can I purchase them?
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Marc. I may have to take you up on that

yes you can buy them. RST and Gamebore sell them. I haven’t tried the RST’s but I’ve had good luck with the Gamebore hunting loads
  10. Biz

Biz 20g

What is the length of those 16 gauge short shell? In mm or inches
  11. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Rst are my favorite. Excellent shells. They have great customer service also. You can kinda expect that from shooters and hunters, which they are.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Give me a minute and I’ll post some links
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

14. Ranger6

15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

16. Biz

Biz 20g

Thank you friends
  17. Ranger6

Marc, if your gonna shoot clay targets or even some upland and your 16 has full choke you should look into the spreader loads that RST offers. They are amazing. If your gonna order rst you better get it done. I was on their web sites last night and they have limited stock.
  18. Biz

Biz 20g

Thank you Ranger. I believe that Gamebore is the only brand available in Canada. Anyway, I will inquire if RST is available in Canada.
  19. Ranger6

They may also have spreaders, don’t know much about them. I’ve shot a few of their shells and like them. I believe they are Kent. Just like the little guy if possible. You can also load spreaders that work just as well. Rst uses BP products in their shells. Then you can get your feet wet with reloading.
  20. Ranger6

O forgot challenger, you can get them in Canada. They are good also.