My first BHP

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by James M Brown, Oct 5, 2019.

1. I bought this BHP from Classic. It had a bad paint job, scratched up grips and the trigger was pretty bad. I stripped off the paint from the slide and re-blued it. The frame is aluminum so I took it to a guy in Wheatfield Indiana who sand blasted the old paint off and ceracoated in. I added an extended safety and a sear and hammer form Cylinder & Slide. The magazine safety was also removed. The trigger is great now and breaks at ~6lbs. I then removed the hump from the feed ramp and polished it. It will now feed HP ammo. I’m super happy with this pistol. All I need to do now is find a way to put better sights on it.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]
  2. Pathfinder36

Pathfinder36 Copper BB

Mr. Brown your BHP had a rebirth and it's looks great. I also bought one from Classic but I hide in the back of the safe. It was my 8th BHP plus 1 mint FEG clone. I've considered refinishing the Classic gun but I'm old school and have resisted. I hope you don't mind my asking but what kind of costs am I looking at if I do? Again, very nice job.
  3. [​IMG]

I've since acquired another mid '70s BHP that is in 99%+ condition so I had no qualms as far a refinishing the Classic pistol. I reblued the slide myself so the cost was zero. The frame cost $60 for the sand blasting and Cerakote. I don't know if this info helps, good luck.
    ripjack13 likes this.
  4. Pathfinder36

Pathfinder36 Copper BB

Thanks for the refinishing info. My Classic BHP is solid mechanically & pitting, scratch, ding free. I may have to take my black sheep out of the safe and give refinishing a try. As I mentioned yours looks great. Ed
  5. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator

Woo. That looks much better. Are those new grips or did you sand em smooth?
  6. The grips are brand new. This is my new EDC.
  7. Soundguy

Soundguy Copper BB

James M Brown,

I just had Meprolight sights put on my FM Detective slide/Alloy frame carry gun. I sent the pistol to BHSS (Indiana). Dovetail cuts were made for Mark 3 style Meprolight sights. BHSS did the refinishing.

Picture attached. The sights glow well in the dark.

Alloy 3.jpg Alloy 2.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  8. That's awesome. I just sent them a message asking if they could do that to mine.