My A5’s might not see much action

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, May 28, 2021.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I was informed that my summer skeet and sporting clays league might not happen. The gun club I shoot at can’t get enough shells. The owner usually offers a good discount to buy shells through him and he doesn’t know if he will get them. I’ve been surprised at how many shooters I see buying shells before they shoot a round. I like to keep a couple thousand rounds on hand and enough components on hand to load enough for the leagues. Crazy times
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well that sucks. I have a buddy here that runs a kiddo league for 4H. He told me that they had a 800,000 dollar order with federal, federal promised that they would deliver and he has been getting shells in by the pallet. I’m sure they have a ton of bad orders. Wally World had a bunch of Winchester universals today.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I’ve been looking for 410 and come up empty so far, pretty much everything else is available
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I could possibly hook you up with 410
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

One of the few sporting clay ranges was up for sale for the last few years, as the owners were wanting to retire. A few tire-kickers came and went, but one particular guy was real interested and had the funding. That was about a year ago when ammo dried up. Now, since it is so hard to find/get shotgun ammo the number of shooters showing up has dwindled down to a paltry few. The prospective buyer backed out.
    I don't see things getting any better in the near (or distant) future. Pretty tough to sell a business that people can't get the things needed to actually use the business.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

This whole situation sucks. My club has shells; $80 a case + tax. Walmart still sells them for $6 a box, but the shelves have been empty when I go there.

Well, I do have powder, primers, hulls, and wads. And time. Lots of that for once in my life.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

How is retirement treating you anyway? Bored yet?
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

There was a Calvin and Hobbes strip in which Calvin said “There’s never enough time to do all the nothing you want”.

I’m shooting more, and working out too. And I still have time to make one hell of a hole in the couch. I haven’t flown an airplane since the day I retired, though a friend with a T6 said I could fly it for the gas. Of course, 30 gallons of Avgas per hour adds up quickly.

You should see the mail I get. Baue Funeral Home sends me a flyer weekly reminding me that the end is near. I’m thinking of telling the manager that if I receive one more, he’s going to need his company’s services.

That’s it. It’s like when you’re on vacation and 2 weeks goes by in a flash and you’re back at work wondering how it slipped by so fast. So it’s almost June and I’m wondering where March went...

Oh, I still haven’t given up on getting another flying job. But as I watch my wife packing her suitcase for another trip, I thank God I’m done.
  9. Ranger6

Sounds like fun. Glad your doing ok sir. You been kinda quiet lately, now that you got all that time, and reloading components maybe we can get a post from you over in the reloading section. It’s pretty much just me and auzzie. I know win7stw is working like a dog, so he has limited time.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yeah. Well, there haven’t been any puzzles lately. And I haven’t done anything extraordinary. Wait — I hit four from the chair last Wednesday, winning a shoot off with my friend. Made $7.

Oh, here’s my friend’s T6.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
  11. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Nice Plane. With all that spare time and shooting should see the 100 badge soon.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Not likely. That 50 straight was a fluke. Besides, we normally only shoot 1 round of Skeet, followed by Crazy, then Bits & Pieces.

And the plane? Very nice. Except, it’s more like the plane owns him. It’s a blast to fly, however.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That plane is sweet. I hate to wish my life away but I can’t wait until retirement. However that’s a long ways out for me.

We are finally done with our spring outage so I will have a little more time on my hands. maybe not though my boys are in a lot of activities this summer. I switched positions at work and work 6-2:30 so that will help. But September will be here soon enough and we take our other unit down for 12 weeks so I don’t think I’ll get too much hunting in this fall. If you are still reading I get to pick up a couple new toys at the gun shop tomorrow
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  14. Ranger6

Lucky dog. You know we will be waiting on pictures.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Lucky you. With retirement comes other problems. Like turning into an old man. Let me tell you — IT’S NO FUN. Take some time off while you’re still young enough to enjoy it.

As for me, I loved being at work. I just hated going there.