Muzzlebrake on a BAR

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by John Pierce, Feb 21, 2019.

1. John Pierce

John Pierce Copper BB

My boss, and owner of the owner of the company is wanting a BAR in a grade/caliber that is not offered by Browning with B.O.S.S. My question, if we buy the grade/caliber he wants and add an aftermarket muzzlebrake, will the gun cycle and function as intended?

JP
  2. John Pierce

John Pierce Copper BB

Or if there is a BAR Safari Grade B.O.S.S. in .243 Win, 7/08, .308 out there anywhere? That is what he wants.

JP
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’d check Gunbroker. Good luck.
  4. nfabob

nfabob Copper BB

i'm no expert, but i would not think that the BOSS (or other "Brake") would affect the function of a rifle
  5. kumpe

kumpe .410

Never done it myself, but I know some people that have fitted a muzzlebrake/suppressor on their BAR.
    As far as I understand, fitting a muzzlebrake most likely won't cause any problems (while a supressor might).
    However, if you do run into cycling problems, they can be dealt with by adjusting the gas pressure that unlocks the bolt, and all BAR:s (AFAIK) have adjustable gas valves, so you won't need any replacement parts as you would with many other semiautos.
    Again, I've never done any of this myself, but this is what I have heard and read.
  6. deaner

deaner .22LR

LOUD LOUD LOUD please were some hearing protection and anyone around you .
    kumpe likes this.
  7. kumpe

kumpe .410

And don't forget eye protection for anyone around. It's not only gas that's being directed to the sides with a muzzle brake. I've been hit in the eye with powder residue from a friends gun with a muzzle brake at the range while standing next to him (slightly behind actually), maybe 15-20 feet away. Not pleasant.
    deaner likes this.