Looking at a browning hi power

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Snowman, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Snowman

Snowman Copper BB

upload_2022-10-16_18-53-27.jpeg upload_2022-10-16_19-0-44.jpeg Looking at this gun s/n puts it as 1959 any thought on this gun. Anything I should be looking at closely and what would be estimate value. Thanks in advance for any input
  2. Question: What's up with the trigger? I'm seeing two screws that don't belong there on a stock Hi-Power.
  3. Snowman

Snowman Copper BB

Mister coffee not sure about trigger have not seen the gun in 2years but I think it is some sort of extension/wider shoe
    I will find out this week other than that what do ya think of it thanks
  4. Soundguy

Soundguy .410

Yours looks pretty nice. There are very few dings on or near the trigger pin and it isn't showing holster wear, though it could have been touched up with one of those blueing pens. People talk about the quality of the blued finish on T and C series High Powers... these are their equals or better when in good condition.

I picked up a stock 1950 model two years ago for $600. It was in similar cosmetic shape (pretty darned good shape!) but came with aftermarket extra wide grips. The magazine disconnect was still in place. To be a shooter, yours will need a complete set of new springs... and I wonder if any other mods have been made when I look at that trigger shoe.

Some older High Powers, with all original parts, will exhibit a very smooth and very light trigger pull. This is a very unsafe condition because the sear spring and trigger spring have worn out. That sear spring is critical to safe operation. It is best to assume you will be replacing all springs. All new currently available springs work with these pistols. I like BHSpringSolutions for springs and other parts, and service as well!

You might want to look at the condition of the extractor where it engages with the brass case. Some appear to be chipped from use but are still mostly functional. Extractors for these are difficult to find in new condition except for at Jack First Gun Parts who makes new ones. They cost $100 plus shipping when in stock. You can also find them used for less, but they will likely be in poor condition.

I updated mine with SFS and new springs and she shoots like a new pistol.

Cheers,

Tim
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Snowman

Snowman Copper BB

Sound guy thanks for the info but not sure what is sfs
  6. Snowman

Snowman Copper BB

Mister coffee thanks will have to check things out
    JimCunn likes this.