Loaded 2 1/2 rst shells

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Finally got time to set up another 16 gauge mec reloader to load some 2 1\2 shells. The hulls that I used are once fired rst 1 oz loads. I loaded 1 oz with cheddite primer, sg-16 wad and used universal powder. Crimps really nice. Need to shoot tomorrow to see if I like them or not.

Attached Files:

Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good work. Glad you are going through all this work. When you get the right load I’d like the recipe please
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Slow going. Run out of powder some how. More on the way. I have a 1oz load that shoots nice in my 69 sweet 16 with light recoil. When I switched to the old girl, it seemed a little harsh. The load runs around 9000 psi, which the barrel will handle it but don’t wanna crack the forearm, so I’m working on lowering the load down to maybe 7500-8000 psi. I weighed both guns and found about .2lbs difference. The sweet was 7.4lbs and the 1909 was 7.2. The barrel is shorter, so not sure where the extra felt recoil is coming from. Maybe in my head. And they have to cycle so not sure how far I can go down in psi. I know 7300 psi loads makes the a5 a single shot. More to follow when the “goods” arrive.
    win7stw likes this.
  4. Ranger6

Ok guys update on my quest for the lightest load to cycle my auto 5. I loaded 19.1 grains of universal in the trimmed cheddite hull from ballistic products. Used 1 oz of shot wit the 1816 wad (super G) from precision. All components were weighed so it’s exact. Good crimps. Cycled just fine on light set up. Didn’t spit them 15 feet out. Actually they landed just to the right of my right foot. Easy to pick up, didn’t have to chase them. Recoil was as very manageable. Will load some more and send them off to be tested, soon as fedex opens back up.
    win7stw likes this.