Lazer Skeet

Discussion in 'The Workbench: Builds And Modifications' started by Auzzie, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Decided to throw this up for this area
    During the covid lockdowns had plenty of time to think and dream of ways to improve my shooting. The thought of long periods off the range and the costs going through the roof prompted me to look at what simulators were out there and what could they actually do. Apart from being expensive they didn't offer much for what I wanted to train and achieve.
    My Son and Optometrist friend are both into electronics and robotics. We had a get together and decided what we needed to try put something together. After surveying skeet fields and lots of video of flight paths of targets and distance pegs etc we got the data necessary to do math for a program. We did a version 1 to prove the concept and saw the obvious flaws and improvements required to go to a V2

It does skeet doubles as true pairs in scale speeds and flight paths for both olympic and american skeet and projects them onto the wall . I also does the 0 to 3 sec delay at random if you want. You can also take outside if you have the room and and screen space and project onto a shed wall at 1:1 from station 4 to centre peg which makes it entire realistic feel. You get to use your own gun and stand on the pads and go through a pre shot routine. Voice release will be next improvement.
    The bit I feel is cool is we have also programmed a specific eye training exercise regime aimed at improving saccades and pursuit movements for target aquisition.
    It looks primitive at moment but certainly works and I am delighted with the improvement in my results so far.

Attached Files:

Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thats pretty damn cool. I can't wait to see the next version. Keep us updated.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That is very interesting. I would love to have something like that here as we don't get to shoot much in the winter time.
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

The next step is getting it to record hits and misses but that will take a while to sort out yet. I am thinking / dreaming of a special trigger plate and bore laser setup that drops into my 1100 and blue tooth hits and misses to a phone app
    Genius and brains factor in all this is my Eye Doctor buddy and Son. My claim to fame is measuring the field dimensions and the wacky concepts. Being test subject has been kind of fun too.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Win 7 when the snow is deep way up north this could keep you shooting fit.