Is that really a type 1

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Engraving looks funky. And the stock sure looks proud on that receiver. None of mine look like that.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t recognize the engraving, but the first three types are pretty similar. Maybe Biz will know.

The stock looks a lot newer than the receiver, and the wood is proud. Still, the straight stock looks nice.

Lousy pictures for a high-end seller. I’d want more and better before considering it.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Marc posted it so I don’t think he knows.

That engraving looks like my 4 year old son did it.

I’d bet a lot of money that the lumber is not original. As you all know the Belgium guns have waaaay better fit than that
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

The forearm seems to have a bit more "belly" to it than I am used to seeing.
    Since I am not home and looking at this via my Iphone, I cannot see what year the serial number says. The front sliding safety is actually the second style of safety, so maybe that is why the reference to a "Type 1"? I have a diagram somewhere where the first style of safety was referred to as the "Type 1" or "suicide" safety. The "Type 1" was only the first year or two, right?

Could the forearm be from an early (and I mean REAL early) year, perhaps before 1910-15?
    The "second" variation safety started in late 1904 I think, , but it has the larger hole for the punch to remove the innards. The smaller hole started in 1909. (Again, from my aged memory. I am going to have to simply start carrying the bible with me when I travel!)

And also I read it says it has a 2 9/16" chamber (12 gauge). I thought all 12 gauges were 2 3/4" from the very beginning, with the 16 gauge starting out as 2 9/16"?
    The fit of the wood to receiver is -shall we say--- not the best I have seen.

I love these types of threads!!!!!!!!!! They tax my knowledge AND memory. Just like when I got my HAM license----I quickly realized the more I learn, the less I know!
  6. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

And there is no rear sling provision. What year does the serial number show?
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

SN 60602
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

From my research the 12 gauge was 70mm. The European model had 65mm chamber even in 1903.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Duh! I shouldn’t be reading threads when I’m supposed to be having a conversation with the wife.

According to the S/V book, all 12 gauges had 2 3/4” chambers right from the the start. But we learned from Sauerfan on Shotgunworld that that’s not so, some 12 gauge barrels are marked 65mm. But not in 1903 because those barrels have no chamber markings at all. Regardless, the guns themselves are set up to cycle 70mm ammo, whereas the early 16’s weren’t.

I just looked over the SGW post, Bill is right about the large punch port being pre-1909. But also in 1909 the bottom of the receiver received its reinforcing bump. This gun has the bump, so that makes it 1909 or later, regardless of the size of the hole. If the SN is 60602, that puts the gun firmly in 1923. I was thinking the 20’s from the shape of the trigger, but the punch port threw me. 1923 was the year Browning restarted imports, so the gun may have been sold in the US.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

win7stw likes this.
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

I am glad Rudolph that you were more focus talking to your wife then reading my silly post.
    Clearly this Browning has been fitted with after market stock. The three following elements make me believe that this is not a type 1 but the work of a apprentice engraver/gunsmith. First, I have never seen before a type 1 with engraving on the barrel. Secondly, the foliage pattern appears to have a different theme on each side of the receiver. Thirdly, the curves of the engraving line are not smooth and round as they wood be with and experienced engraver.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I agree with you too Marc. That’s why I said it looks like my 4 year old engraved it. It looks terrible
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Evidently I didn’t focus on either. Kind of like texting while driving, only instead of an accident I just looked foolish.
  15. Ranger6

Not to be different or anything, but I agree too