Is DuPont PBSS the same as IMR PB

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, May 4, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

If you can find a load at 9000 it will. Still working on pressure lower then that. The rst a5 shells are at 8000 and they cycle just fine. I loaded some universal last week at about 7300 and it would not cycle. The bolt would come back but not enough recoil to eject the shell. I will be loading some more this next week.
    win7stw likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

PB is all I’ve ever used. 20 grains with an ounce of shot cycles my guns just fine. Actually .9 oz, as I often leave room for a spreader. I have had a few failures in very cold weather, not sure if the problem was the 10 degree temperature or not.
    win7stw likes this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am interested to see how the the polywad spreaders will pattern in a mod choked gun.

Rudolph what are the rest of the components you are using with the 20 grains of PB?
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I use two hulls, Remington and Cheddite.

RGL:
    20gr. PB, Remington SP16 wad, Remington primer, 1 oz shot.

Cheddite:
    20gr. PB, SG16 wad, Cheddite primer, 1 oz. shot.

Note that these are both 2 3/4” loads. Using the Short Kit I just reduced the payload to fit. Using an overshot card with a Hartin Crimp I used the full ounce. From what I’ve read, both of these short loads should result in reduced pressures.

I used to cut the petals off the SP16 wad to enhance the spreader loads, and free up space to load more shot. It worked, but Hartin Crimping makes it unnecessary, volume wise.

The BP Extreme Spreader makes my long barreled, full choke sixteen an adequate Skeet gun. When a friend wanted to play for a dollar I complained that I was shooting a FULL CHOKE. So he switched to a full choke also and it wasn’t until I was far ahead at Station 6 did I remark how well those spreaders were performing.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I would think 20 gains would also function. The universal load I was using was 19.3 no cycle. My gun was set up for heavy loads also. Will try setting it up on light load setting and try 19.3 grains again. Now the 20.5 grains cycles in the sweet 16 and is a good load. Just seems like the recoil is too harsh in the 1909. Not sure why, the 1909 is only .2lbs lighter. Maybe it’s just my perception. I put it in the recoil calculator and there is a difference but not sure it correlates to the extra recoil.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Perfect thanks guys. I will try the Cheddite load out
  8. Ranger6

You can go up to 21 grains with the cheddite hulls and primers. I used the BP wads SG-16 wad. Then I switched to precision reloading super g wad 1816. Fits better and better crimps. I loaded 20.5 with that. It cycled well. Didn’t go to pattern board but did shoot clay box on center stake from station 4 and it looked good. Broke targets so good enough for me for now.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Dumb question but when I start roll crimping I should be able to use 2-3/4 data right?
  10. Ranger6

11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Ranger hopefully I will be able to try it tomorrow. Getting together with some friends in a little bit so hopefully the hangover won’t be too bad tomorrow
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. Ranger6

Good luck with that.