Is DuPont PBSS the same as IMR PB

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, May 4, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Came across a 12lb keg of DuPont PBSS powder. I am assuming it’s PB. Was wondering if anybody here knows before I call Hodgdon
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I don’t know without doing research. It would be quicker to call Hodgdon. Good people.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Still waiting to get an email from Hodgdon. Tried calling yesterday but I was on hold forever.
    [​IMG]
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Don’t think that’s the same as the imr pb. I would wait to hear from Hodgdon on that one. May wanna post over on 16 gauge, there are some older cats over there that probably would be able to identify
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Can get it for $100. Do I pull the trigger on it?
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have threads on 24hourcsmpfire, 16ga, and shotgunworld.
  8. Ranger6

Looks like Rudolph31 found something. What did Hodgdon say. If it’s pb I would for sure buy. Can’t get it anymore. Good powder. I use to use it long ago but Hodgdon stopped making it.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m guessing it’s pretty old, do you know how it’s been stored? And without assurance that it’s the same as IMR PB, I’d stay away. One last thing, the can says SMOKELESS POWDER EXPLOSIVE. I’ve always heard that our propellants aren’t classified as explosives. Maybe it’s older than the modern definitions.
  10. Ranger6

I recently had a chance to load some shells at one of my buddies house and he was using powder(stored properly) that was 40 years old. Loaded and shot just fine. Honestly if it has been stored correctly and depending on what Hodgdon says, I would do it. If the same as pb anyway.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It’s been stored well. The guy I’m getting it from used 5 kegs of it and treated it like PB. I will load some up and send it off for testing.
  12. Ranger6

Sounds good. Where you sending? I’m gonna have one ready to be tested soon.
  13. Ranger6

I always shoot mine first then send them off. Shit load some up and let’er rip. I got an old Mossberg that works great for that.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ll either send them to Ballistic Products or Tom Armbrust
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’m not too worried about the explosive part. A lot of the old shotgun powder kegs have that on them.
  16. Ranger6

Win..: did you end up with the powder?
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Not yet but it will be mine. Picked up my 5lbs of 7625 and the gun I bought almost 2 months ago
  18. Ranger6

Damn it. Where you finding all this good powder?
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Local classifieds
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Got some good news from a different forum. The PBSS powder is the same as PB. I should be set for awhile now. Only thing that concerns me is the pressure is so low. Will PB cycle A5’s?