Ideas for a dependable $200-$300 scope

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Ray6509, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Ray6509

Ray6509 Copper BB

Hey everybody,

Just bought my first rifle ever and hopefully will love it. It's a BAR MK II Safari 30.06 with a Boss.

It came with a new Simmons scope that I haven't seen that great of reviews on. I've noticed a few Leupolds and a few Vortex scopes for both around $200-$300.

I know Luepold has a great reputation but has anyone had a Vortex Diamondback or Crossfire2 scope? The best thing I noticed on Vortex is it's lifetime warranty which has me deciding between a luepold.

If there's another decent scope in that range a few tips or thoughts would be great.

Attached Files:

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Very nice Ray....
  3. Virgilward

Virgilward Copper BB

Just bought a Nikon Prostaff 7. Super bright.
    Rob poston likes this.
  4. ken007

ken007 Copper BB

I have a number of Vortex Diamondback - couple in 3x9 and a couple in 4x12 - find them every bit as good (if not better/brighter) as my expensive Leupolds and Bushnells. You'll see one on my BBR .300 Win Mag and my BAR .270 Win
    Rob poston likes this.
  5. Goodcrds

Goodcrds Copper BB

I have a Leupold VX-1 on a BAR 30-06. Great brightness, great groups and lifetime warranty.
    Rob poston likes this.
  6. Planetcat

Planetcat .410

I was going to say Nikon prostaff or Leupold vx-2. Both are very good for the price. The magnification range will be dependent on how you intend to use the rifle. Btw, nice purchase!
    Rob poston and XDMBOB like this.
  7. Jason

Jason .22LR

Check out Tract. Outdoor Life’s 2016 Optics test, NRA’s American Hunter, and the Guns & Ammo articles on the TORIC 3-15x50 IMPACT BDC are overwhelmingly positive. Now that is a $700 price tag on scopes that usually run $2k plus for similar specs. But they have great options for around $400. More than you wanted to spend, but also incredible value for what you get. (if you email them, they offer 15% off code for Law Enforcement and Military).

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles...-14-new-riflescopes-reviewed-ranked-and-rated

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/optics/the-genius-of-tract-optics/

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/12/28/hardware-tract-toric/

That being said. You can't beat the low, low, price of $0. Make sure the one you have doesn't meet your needs before you buy a new one. Just because it came with the rifle, does not mean it is a "throw away" and it may be all you need until you hunt a few times. You may find you are good to go and there is no need to buy a new one. Or you may find yourself wishing you had a different scope...that would be the time to spend money.

You can get Vortex scopes which are great as well especially for the Price.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  8. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN

I like the Nikon Prostaff! Great optics.
    Rob poston likes this.
  9. You cant go wrong with Vortex, Nikon, or a Leupold. No particular order.
    Rob poston and XDMBOB like this.
  10. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Weaver
  11. MyBrowning8

MyBrowning8 Copper BB

This might be too late but I have Bushnell's elite (3200 & 3500) 3 x 9 x 40 on a BAR Safari in .300 Winnie, X-Bolt LH hunter in .30-06. and a BLR Lightweight in .243 and zero problems and lots of animals, the rainguard coating works great and the glass is clear.
  12. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

This!
    I have all three, but find that I am most impressed with my Vortex. Leupold can be drug throught the muck and mud, and seem to be the most durable in testing, but honestly, you likely won't ever put your own scope through any abuse like these test scopes have had to undergo in order to experience even the slightest failure.
    Nikon seems to be just a little brighter (clearer in low light conditions) than the Leupold, but the Vortex performs the best on pretty much all fields, IMO. You cannot go wrong with any of these three, but think the Vortex edges the competition out, ever so slightly.
    Incidentally, all three have lifetime warranties, as do many optics.
  13. Shorty

Shorty Copper BB

recently bought an Athlon argos 6-24x50 ffp. super happy so far but still am new with it. It has the same guarantee as vortex, no questions asked
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

First time hearing of that Brand Name...