I want to thread my BAR's barrel

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by MZ5, Dec 24, 2014.

1. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I have the heavy-barrel Hog Stalker variant. Know of a good 'smith that will do it? AZ 'smiths are preferred for convenience, but I can ship as well.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

What state do you live in...?!
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Arizona. That's why it's preferred for convenience, but like I say I can also ship. The 'smiths I happen to know here are all highly oriented towards Remmy, Winchester, and maybe Savage for precision rifle competition guns. I don't own much in that line, and they're not set up for other action types.
  4. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Forgot to add:
    I saw a post somewhere with a link to an outfit here in AZ that had made a BAR into an 'interdiction rifle' (I think that's what they called it), but I'll be darned if I can find the link or remember the name of the outfit now that it's a regular business day.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Well...if I come across a good gunsmith who threads barrels I'll let you know !
  6. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Thanks. :)
    I found the link I was looking for. The local outfit who built some 300 WinMag BARs is called Arms Tech. They're not answering the phone today. I may try them again, or just send it to an outfit that the FNAR guys tell me thread FNAR barrels.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

OK, glad you found someone !
  8. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Just a follow up, in case anyone with the Hog Stalker variant of the BAR might be looking and want to have their barrel threaded--

ArmsTech says they're working on a contract and cannot do the job in a timely manner.
    Short Action Customs will thread the barrel. They do them in batches (mainly FNARs, but almost the exact same gun as the BAR Hog Stalker), and the next batch will be done first week of March. Rifles have to be to them by Feb 27th. After that it'll be at least 4 months before they do another batch. They can also smooth/polish the fire control mechanism, and simultaneously reduce pull weight.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for sharing that info MZ5 !!