Hole in the center- sub gauge 410

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thought I would mention this, as a friend of mine that I shoot with has decided to start reloading, sure it has to do with the price of ammo now. Anyway she wanted to start reloading 410. Probably one of the worst moves as a new reloader, but she was for warned. She started with Winchester AA HS hulls, one of the best, and was having a hole in the center of the shell. She watched the video on adjusting from mec and things were getting worse the more adjustments made. So a phone call and the hint of peach cobbler I was on my way. I spent about 15 min looking over her reloader and adjustments, all adjustments were correct and looked pretty close to my settings. So I decided to cut a shell open and see what was going on. What I found was the wad was not seated, even touching the powder. I have always loaded modern wads with no pressure on the wad gauge, but it has to be down far enough to seat the wad down on the powder. So just an adjustment on the wad tube made all the difference.

Attached Files:

2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well done. How was the “cobbler”?
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Well worth the drive. She makes cobbler like my grandma used to make.