Hi Power MkII Refinished To Cerakote

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by pendennis, Apr 8, 2016.

1. pendennis

pendennis .22LR

A little over a month ago, I picked up a ca. 2010 MkIII, which the previous owner had tried removing the magazine safety. The right side pin hole was marred; and I decided to make it a project gun. After properly removing the magazine safety, I took it to a local smith and discussed a refinish. He advised he'd had some luck with a refinisher who had done Cerakote finishes. He sent the pistol to him, and we waited. He kept us in the loop and had to experiment a bit since the slide and frame weren't the same metal (forged and cast). After he finished, the pistol came back today. He did a great job on matching the finishes, and even Cerakoted the slide lock release, hammer, safeties, and trigger. I opted to put a set of Hogue slim stocks on it.

I took it on the range, and it ran just like I expected of a Hi Power.

The trigger is greatly improved. The frame still holds onto mags a bit, and I'm just going to "wear" them in.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    kcphelps likes this.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Awesome refinish job....!!
  3. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Very attractive! Carry piece?
  4. pendennis

pendennis .22LR

Right now, I'm using it at the range. I just broke in a Colt LWT Commander XSE in 9mm, so it may be a while. I need to order a holster from El Paso Saddlery anyway, since the on-the-shelf holsters for 1911's are just a tad loose.
  5. Very nice finish job! What does something like this cost? I have a surplus Israeli I'm thinking abut redoing. PM me if you'd rather than posting it on line, please?
    Steve
  6. pendennis

pendennis .22LR

Out the door was $190. I've seen prices range anywhere from $175, up to $250, provided a lot of metal work wasn't needed. I'd imagine the price can get up there if there's rust, etc., that needs to be removed.

I've seen a few of the Israeli imports, and they all seem to be candidates for some type of refinish. Cerakote would come in a bit cheaper than a good re-blue.
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  7. What outfit did yours if you can please provide a link if they have a website?
    Steve
  8. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I just put in an order for two alloy-framed HP's (sorry, Ohio Ordnance Works seems to be sold out of them), and I want to convert one into a carry piece. Cerakote may be the way for me to go. Yours here looks great. More and more I prefer a more subdued look to handguns, we change as we get older. At one time I liked a two-tone look.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017