Hi Power Errant Part

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Dutch van Hall, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Dutch van Hall

Dutch van Hall Copper BB

Bought a used FN Hi Power citrca 1980. Tore it down, cleaned it and was reassembling when a small part I do not recognize dropped out of the frame. Can someone tell me what it goes to. Is it even an HP part?
    On left next to the sear to show dimensions. Much appreciated. BHP Errant Part.JPG
  2. Fire Pin Stop, or Firing Pin Retaining Plate (two names for the same thing).
  3. Dutch van Hall

Dutch van Hall Copper BB

Actually, that is not the firing pin retaining plate. The firing pin retaining plate has a full circle firing pin size hole and is larger and thicker than the illustrated piece. This piece has a small hole about paper clip diameter and has a prong at one end. I do not find it in any of the parts lists I have looked at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. oldgreyguy

oldgreyguy .22LR

Dutch van Hall likes this.
  5. Dutch van Hall

Dutch van Hall Copper BB

I do put parts in trays for cleaning and safekeeping. They are notorious for drawing in parts from other sources and magnetizing small parts that cling and then drop off into the shop netherworld. Once I made the mistake of setting a tray down on a flatbed of wrench sockets. Not a happy experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. oldgreyguy

oldgreyguy .22LR

ahh magnets, I take the mags out of failed hard drives.... they are perfect for magnetizing all sorts of stuff, and as you have experienced grabbing all sorts of things that one really didn't want to be grabbed
  7. Dutch van Hall

Dutch van Hall Copper BB

EUREKA! There I was... turns out the little sucker is the safety detente plate for my newly acquired AT84S. I had both the ITM pistol and the BHP disassembled and in magnetic trays for cleaning. Seems the little bugger migrated on a tool or something during cleaning. I did wonder why the AT84S safety spring did not seem to have anything to press against. Wasn't the first time parts have done that. Won't be the last even as careful as I try to be. At least I will know for the next time, if my brain damage short term memory loss does not erase what I know right now...
  8. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Mystery SOLVED...
  10. Part to the right looks like a BHP sear. I'm guessing the hammer won't stay cocked?
    Steve