Hammer problem.

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by StefanK, Jul 15, 2017.

1. StefanK

StefanK Copper BB

Hello guys.

I recently did a Cerakote job on my BHP. Second one I have done to it. No issues whatsoever the first time, pistol was fine.

However I noticed that after the second job, I have a more or less serious issue with the pistol. Sometimes when firing, hammer would seize up. Hammer would cock when firing as normal, but when I tried to squeeze another round, no firing happened. I had to cycle the pistol, could aqueeze a couple of shots more, and then the same problem. Of 13 shots, I had this issue happening to me 5 times. Ammunition was military ball ammunition, same as always, and there was no failure to feed or eject whatsoever.

So I took the pistol down to its very bones, and took my other BHP down to its very bones too. I noticed that the hammer, when the sear spring is in place, doesnt propperly line up with the safety bar holes. So its a pin in the ass when mounting the safety back again: also noticed that in the pistol presenting the problem, when I half cock the pistol with a sudden jolt, safety would ride up a bit and seize the hammer. This doesnt happen with my other browning.

Help me out here, I am freaking out. I figured out is a sear spring problem or a hammer spring problem but... Here I am. Gunsmithing is no choice since I live in a non-friendly-to-legal-gun-owners zone.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

OK...so what changed between the 1st and 2nd Cerakote DIY job... Hmmm

Did you remove the 1st Cerakote coating BEFORE putting on the 2nd...?

Is the other BHP Cerakoted...? ...RETORICAL QUESTION... probably NOT...

Now...using logical deduction...what's the difference between the two...one is DOUBLE Cerakoated...one is NOT !!

I guarantee the DIY Cerakote instructions tell you NOT to coat items that would have a "tolerance" issue. Put it on too thick...even on just the frame...same problems develop too.

Therefore...the problem is the Cerakote...I would strip the offending Cerakote off the "bad" BHP and either do it right...or...NOT at all !!

And...you did say you field / detailed stripped it too...did you put it back together correctly !?

Gunsmithing out of the question !?...

Don't know what to tell you there....but...seems to me the Cerakote on the parts and surfaces, knooks and crannies IS the problem.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017