GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I went to the local first gun show of the season, and there happened to be a handful of A5s in attendance. A few square butts and a few round butts. One of the round butts was a 1924 16 gauge in relatively pretty good condition. Someone at some point installed a Poly Choke on it. (No big deal for me, I don't mind. It's part of that guns history.) He had it priced fair. I went over it really close. It had never been converted -and I told him it was a 2 9/16" chamber, and NOT the customary 2 3/4". I told him ammo was virtually impossible to find, so as a collector, it was priced ok, but as a shooter, he would probably never be able to find a buyer as anyone could buy a new shotgun, with ammo found readily for the same money. I mentioned they could be converted, but it wasn't an afternoon job. We talked for a few minutes, he thanked me for the info ( I pulled the A/V bible out of my backpack and showed him some details.), shook my hand and I walked away.
    As I made a second lap around the show, as I walked by this guy's table again, he stopped me and told me he found some ammo in a box that he got with the gun (allegedly a neighbor lady's husband died and she was wanting him to sell the guns.) He reaches under the table and pulls out two original boxes of short 16 ammo!!! I laughed and told him I have been looking at every guns how for the last two decades for some of that. He told me he would be interested in selling one of the two boxes, as he wanted to keep one with the gun, I agreed, and asked what he wanted for one box. He got a great big smile on his face and said since I already earlier told him that ammo was rare, it must therefore be expensive. "How 'bout you give me $25?"

Me: Sir, I enjoyed talking with you about your A5 earlier, and I told you then the price you have on it is fair, but $25 for a box of ammo would not be fair. Here is $50. I won't shoot it up.

"Uhhhhhhh, ok....."

My little victory!!!!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Kudos to you for being honest. It doesn't get any better than that.