Funken Engraved Gun

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

A beautiful A5. I did notice in one of the pictures showing the forearm--something about the checkering doesn't look " normal". Spacing or something.
    Serial number, being as that it is four digit, means 1903/1904/1905? (I am not at home and don't have my bible with me.)
    (And, with merely my phone to see the pictures, I couldn't find Mr. Funkin's signature.)

And I imagine it will bring that money.
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

It appears to me that someone use a 1934 or post 1934 receiver and change the serial number on it. That serial number corespondent to a 1903/1904 production and I believe the s.n. 5452 will be equipped with a suicide safety. In the pre first war they were no FN marking on top the serial and the list of thing that are not consistent with the 1903/04 auto-5 is long. Someone is trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Good one Rudolph, I like it
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very seriously doubt it has been tamped with. Considering the dealer, don’t think they would offer something for sale if there was a question.
    Very beautiful. Wish I had 8500
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I saw that posting today. I’ve always wanted a Funken gun but I think this one is a pass
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That dealer has some damn nice Superposeds
  7. Biz

Biz 20g

I am not suggesting that the merchant is dishonest. He may have been deceived.
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I hear ya. I still don’t think it’s possible. That’s a shop that deals with high end guns. You don’t deal in that stuff unless you know your stuff.
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

Guys allow me to insist, this is not a 1903/04 receiver neither a trigger group. Here are three 1903/04 receiver please compare.
    FFE14345-8101-4ABD-BFC9-23FAD6DAEE37.jpeg

FAA2A352-B691-4862-976A-80064A29149A.jpeg
  10. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I also just noticed the butt stock wood isn't quite right, as the bottom tang is exposed, more so than usual. Up towards the receiver you can see the wood doesn't extend low enough to fit flush with the metal.

DISCLAIMER: By no means am I complaining or trying to nitpick. I am just seeing things that would make me think at some point in that particular gun's history it has been worked on for whatever reason. Is it worth $8500? Not for me to decide. I didn't notice--is it being sold as an original, or "merely" a Funken gun (as if a Funken gun deserves the word "merely"!!)? Somewhere in there is the difference.

I am almost more impressed with the three next to each other!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Ranger6

Either way I’m not spending 8500 dollars, does look like you have 1 to many biz so you can send one of your choice to me, only so I can compare of course.
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

Even if it was a genuine Félix Funken, I will not spend 8500,00$, because I saw a Félix Funken art-deco style gold inlaid that went for 2500,00 euros. I am still banging my head on the wall, why I didn’t buy it. Don’t you hate yourself sometime.
    Ranger, like you, my wife pretends I have to many of those auto-5. I said O,K, I will not collect early Browning superposed.
  13. Ranger6

See I could help you out, and make the wife happy. You would have one less a5.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Marc, I’d like to help too. The way I see it you only “need” one. Ranger can have one and I’ll take whatever other one your wife wants gone.
  15. Ranger6

Thats a win win for everyone. You know what they say” if momma ain’t happy, ain’t no one happy”.
  16. Biz

Biz 20g

It is such an overly-generous offer that I simply can’t take advantage of such generosity
  17. Biz

Biz 20g

I wonder what happened to the person that start that post?
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good eye, Biz. The St Louis address and the Browning bust with the words Trade Mark are 1934ish. And the reinforcing bump at the bottom of the receiver debuted in 1909. Somebody changed the serial number.

The question is, did the factory do it?
  19. Biz

Biz 20g

I believe this is the work of an engraver. If it was done by the FN, do you think they would have engraved around the Browning bust? That is it not very nice. I am sure they were a lot a plain receiver available at the FN. I have seen several so called smilie face dog engraved that it said to be Félix Funken but they are not signed by him?
  20. Biz

Biz 20g

On the second look at the description, it seems that the receiver is signed by Félix Funken. Therefore, the gun must have been restore at the FN in the mid 30’s. They installed a new receiver and trigger group
    Rudolph31 likes this.