Forearm repair

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Dec 17, 2019.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I acquired a stock and forearm for my 1947 stealth sweet sixteen and it didn’t fit right. It was allowing the barrel to sit to far forward causing the diver part of the barrel extension to be seen. Also the charging handle was contacting the front of the ejection port. I tried a few different forearms and determined that the issue was with the used forearm.

I was going to shim it originally but after trying to get shim stock cut to the right size I gave up. I decided to use epoxy similar to bedding a rifle. I removed the forearm, barrel, and recoil spring. I gave the magazine tube and barrel a liberal coating of Hornsby One Shot case lube. Then I duct taped the barrel and receiver together with what I though was the right amount of barrel extension protruding. Taped the exterior of the forearm and the barrel channel. I used Loctite epoxy and carefully put it where the barrel ring sits. Then I slid the forearm on and installed the magazine cap. I cleaned up the excess that squeezed out with a-tips and rubbing alcohol. I let it set up for a few hours and broke it loose.

I thought I nailed it but I had to remove a little material. I filed the flat part and borrowed an 1-1/4” annular cutter from my work’s machine shop to remove the rest. Not the prettiest but I think it will work well. We will see if it holds up to the abuse.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]
    Biz and Rudolph31 like this.
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

Nice job. Is the loctite epoxy better them other brand? Is it a fast cure? Did you have to remove oil or any other contaminants before applying the epoxy. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thank you Marc. I don’t know if loctite is better than the other brands. I used it because I had some on hand. I like it because it it comes in individual mixing cups. This is what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/Fixmaster®-Fast-Cure-Epoxy-Mixer/dp/B000WSH2ME/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=loctite fixmaster fast cure&qid=1576716032&sr=8-1-fkmr0

I did degrease the metal with gun scrubber. I roughed the wood up with some 80 grit sandpaper and a file. I blew the wood dust out with compressed air before applying the epoxy.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have another short chambered gun on the way that has a bad cracked forearm. I have a 2-3/4 forearm that I might build up and use if this one holds up.
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

For cracked stock, I like to use polyurethane glue which, when cured, seems to be more flexible then epoxy. To date, I have a great success with that glue.
    In the past, we were using type 3 woodworking glue (like Titebond III) or epoxy to make end grain butcher block and during winter, because of the low relative humidity, they will tend to crack. With polyurethane, we don’t so far have any claims. We conclude that the poly was way more forgiving then the other traditional glue. BTW, prior to gluing, I always immerse the stock into acetone for at least a day.

Here is the glue in question, it is Germain made. I am sure there is equivalent into the U.S.
    https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/cat...erit-501-pur-glue/1021893/sku-50130?setlang=1
    win7stw likes this.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks for the information. I want to build some cutting boards this winter. I will have to try that type of glue. I acquired a lot of wood this past summer. My coworkers dad passed away and was an avid wood worker. Nobody in his family wanted it so they wanted it to go to somebody that would appreciate it. I plan on making a board for all of his kids for being so generous.
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

Cutting board always make good presents.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Used the repaired gun today. Went there for three on roosters!!! Rapid fired three rounds through it and it is holding up so far.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good for you finding a solution. If it’s just a hunting gun it’ll probably last years before it needs attention. If you’re taking it to the range you’ll probably be redoing that repair fairly often. Let us know how long it lasts.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I will shoot a couple rounds of skeet each week in the summer. I will be curious if it works.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So I have fired two cases of shells through with the repaired forearm and so far the epoxy is hanging in there. Last night I shot 4 boxes of old Federal High Power shells and my god they kicked like a mule. New springs and set up for heavy loads that thing piss pounded me. Kind of an odd load. They were in the Federal box with the a duck on it 1-1/8 ounce of 9 shot.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  13. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

maybe you got that older man syndrome like me. That shit of getting beat to death isn't as much fun as it used to be. My favorite is sub gauge now. Lot easier on the shoulder and more challenging.
    win7stw likes this.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

My 12 gauge Citori was way more pleasant to shoot. Still need to get a 28 gauge
    Ranger6 likes this.
  15. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I didn't think I would like a girls gun, wish I would have gotten it sooner.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’d love to smoke some pointed roosters over my brittanys with a 28 gauge
  17. Ranger6

Were gonna have to get to together on this shit, you got the paper hulls and dogs, I got the crimper and 28 gauge
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I do have some premium hunting spots too...
    Ranger6 likes this.