Forcing cone

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by tangy003, Aug 28, 2014.

1. tangy003

tangy003 Copper BB

Is the removal of the forcing cone really needed for better patterning??
    Also how can I tell if my gun ever had this done?
    Thanks
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You will see an improvement if everything else is spot on. For the occasional trip to the range and hit 10 maybe 15 no. Mostly for skeet, clay or 5 stand where getting back on the second clay is a big deal. There is a lot that goes into breaking 300 clays in a row. You will also feel softer recoil. That is if you know what your looking for. Does it have to be done to hit a clay target. Not at all. To hit 300 without a miss. Maybe not but any advantage you can get if your really serious about skeet then yes. I have shot professionally and for fun. It is done to my skeet gun. Does it pattern better, yes
    Is there other things that will help you more that cost less. For sure
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Have you ever patterned a shotgun?
  4. 284fan

284fan Copper BB

I have guns with lengthened forcing cones and guns without. I used to shoot skeet, 5 stand and trap regularly... several times a week as I lived next to the range. I never could tell a lick of difference...and I shot well.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  5. 284fan

284fan Copper BB

They don't actually remove the forcing cone, it is just lengthened and the transition is smoothed from chamber to bore. All shotguns have a forcing cone unless your bore is identical in diameter as the chamber.
    Ranger6 and Rudolph31 like this.