Finally found a straight stock

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jun 2, 2021.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’m guessing this gun was made in 1912. It has quite the forearm repair on it. The guy that I bought it from claims the original owner had a rod that screwed into it for support. I’m bummed that the forearm is jacked and that the stock has been cut. On the other hand I’m really happy it hasn’t been opened up to 2-3/4”.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Can someone explain the 15.7/16.7 choke marking? What is that the equivalent of?
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Win7stw:
    That straight stock is way sexy. You lucky dog. If I remember right( sure Rudolph31 will correct) choke/bore. Does suck that the stock has been cut, but those birds won’t know.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks for the choke info. With a new pad that stock will be the correct LOP which isn’t the worst thing in the world. I have an extra forearm for it already. It might get a reblue too
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yea if a pad corrects it, that’s not bad. The other option it to send to mark over on 16 ga forum and let him work his magic. I think after I finish the stevens I’m sending my LC to him to do cause it’s to short, but hate to do away with original stock. He said he could extend it and you would never know. Hell Arts guy can make one also.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Any idea what Arts guy charges for one?
  8. Ranger6

When I talked to him last year I wanted new stock and 2 forearms. It was like 2000 grand.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Ouch, I need to get ahold of Biz. I sent him three round knob stock and he was going to convert one to a straight stock. I hope it works because that would be a lot cheaper
  10. Ranger6

Yes sir, I talked to several places. Most custom stocks makers start at like 4000 plus wood.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

16.7mm is the bore diameter which converts to .657”.
    15.7mm is the choke diameter. A whole millimeter is a full choke. 15.7mm=.618”.

And 2000 grand is 2 million dollars. I don’t think Art charges that much.
  12. Ranger6

Rudolph31: must have been that Chinese calculator. You are correct. And I meant 2 grand, I’m sure Justin understood, but nice to see your retirement hasn’t made you lose your edge. Trying to keep you on your toes. And prior message was corrected. Thanks
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well I was going to replace the butt pad on this gun but it’s pretty unique. It’s a two piece horn plate.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Pictures?
  15. antman73

antman73 .410

Even though it's been tampered with it always amazes my what great shape some of these guns are in for their age. Good luck with that baby.
  16. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I like the home brand centre of gravity adjuster device /optional aircraft mounting bracket. Can’t say I have seen one of these babies in the S&V book.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Wow. Over the last year or so, straight stocks sure have gotten my interest.

I had a square butt stock that someone cut down for an apparent 9 year old, so I decided to convert it to a straight stock. The angle of the hole for the screw that attaches the stock to the receiver tang is at a different angle, so I had to drill out the existing hole (actually using a milling machine I made an oval hole to grab as much area as possible), then filled it in with one of the JB Weld compounds (I forget which variant) then after removing the pistol grip and actually making it a "straight stock" I re-drilled the hole for the now-correct angle.
    I must admit it was quite a bit of work, and the fit wasn't up to FN standards, but it did turn out pretty nice. Since it was a "I wonder how hard it would be to do...." project, I haven't kept it on any of my recent straight stocks I bought, but some day......
  18. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hi Bill speaking of milling machines how is your 410 build project coming along? Secondly how are things going in Idaho since covid. Recovery wise? . I have been trying to get reloader parts from Ponsness at Rathdrum and not much luck with return contact. I have dealt with them lot in past and great customer service but seems like they have dropped off radar. Any insight might might help seeing I am on other side of planet.
  19. Ranger6

Auzzie: just called the 1800 732 0706, lady by the name of Kim answered. She said they are up and running. I asked her about shipping to you and she said said shouldn't be a problem.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Haha I don’t care much for it. It’s quite heavy