Engraving /serial number correlation question.

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I have studied the Bible until I have darn-near read the ink off the pages. That being said- either I failed to remember, or it simply isn't addressed, but-------

Is (technically WAS) there any method to Browning's/FN's numbering progression to determine what level of engraving any particular A5 had? In other words, what specifically determined what level (Grade 1, 2, etc.) of engraving they got as they rolled off the assembly line? Were they gathered up in groups of a certain size and hauled off to the engraving shed, or every tenth one, or what?
    I understand there were special orders regarding the engraving grade, but with as many as were made, I have seen numerous grades within a limited serial number range.
    I see no indication of any particular shotgun's serial number showing what grade it left the factory as, so therefore if a guy wanted to, couldn't he take a Grade 1 (for example) to an engraver, and have it "upgraded" (pun intended) to a higher grade? (Which is what I am seriously considering doing, BTW!) I have a few Grade 2/3/4 A5s, and could easily take a receiver down and have an engraver ( if I could find a reputable one in the area) as an example, and have a plain one done. Sure, it wouldn't be a Felix gun, but I wouldn't try to pretend it was.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I am having that done on one of mine. Not a browning but my great grandfathers LC Smith. I wanted some specific engraving that was offered by LC Smith at the time but if there are any out there, they don’t have the history that mine has. I have chokes in it and it’s one of my best shooters and my favorite by far. I just sent it off and was told about a year. I will never sell and don’t really care about any of the history stuff per collectors, it was used and has lots of stories, some of which I know, so I want it to look a certain way and it will look that way next year. My 50th birthday present to me. So if that’s what you want, then do it, who cares about anything else, especially if your never gonna sell it.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don’t think serial numbers had anything to do with engraving, but it’s likely that guns pulled for extra attention had similar numbers.

In 1976 Browning started using Configuration Codes. While other models have codes for higher grades, there are none shown in my favorite reference for the Auto-5.

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

As for having a plain gun engraved, Angelo Bee is still alive and is living in (I think) California. And he’s still engraving. That would be the best way to get an authentic high grade Auto-5.

Be sure to post pictures.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Did some research and his engraving is top notch. I believe this is his contact info from what I can tell.

Attached Files:

6. Biz

Biz 20g

I don’t think there is any correlation between serial number and grade. I believe guns where selected randomly for engraving and fit with appropriate stocks. There is probably a correlation between the grade and the stock. However the commemorative model seems to have special serial number.
    Regarding upgrade, in the thread "The 6 types of armes de luxe" , post number 10, there is 1925 16 gauge engraved in 1980/90.