eBay stock

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I hear ya, I was thinking the same. I need to post some stuff in reloading section.
  2. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Very impressive. I have "saved" a handful of stocks in similar condition. Over the years I have been able to "re-cut" checkering (cutting original checkering is beyond my limit."A man has got to know his limitations....)
    What type of final oil finish have you decided on? Keep us posted.

I am planning on picking up a 1928 A5 in REALLY good condition in a few days--however-- as someone already posted in another thread, the bottom inch-and-a-half has turned a lot darker and I might try to work on it.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks Bill. I haven’t decided what finish I want to use on it yet.

Buy the 1928 gun. I was the one that posted about the bottom part of the stock being dark. It will come off if you use my method of madness for the wood prep.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Put the first coat of oil on tonight. I decided to stick with what I know and use the ProCustom oil. This stock has very large pores and had I noticed it I would have applied two coats of the French red. This one is going to take a lot of coats, the wood is very thirsty.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Just finished the 4th coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Looks amazing Justin. How many more coats?
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks, at least 8 more
  8. Ranger6

Damn that’s a lot of work.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It really isn’t any more work than figuring out roll crimping
  10. Ranger6

Ha I hear ya. Raining here today. Got 1 round of skeet in before they shit it down, so I’m gonna do some reloading. Crazy ass weather. Guess left over of tropical storm that hit about 4-5 hours away.
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

Nice job Justin. Here is my catch of the month. The big prize is the 1904 English stock. I am not sure the French red would be appropriate for it, what do you guys think? 8BA39128-08C0-43E6-966B-F4275FEC2ED4.jpeg
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Nice snag Marc. The French Red isn’t the right stain for that. I really need to take the time and figure out that color. It wasn’t the right color for my stock either.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

If I only knew somebody that had some English walnut.....
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

If I only knew somebody that had some EUROPEAN walnut
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

This stock is kicking my ass. The pores are long and deep and are taking forever to fill. I finally got pissed tonight and wet sanded it to even things out again. I just put my 16th coat on. I will go to 20 and be done. Bird season opens soon and it needs to be done
  16. Biz

Biz 20g

20 coats! That seems like a monk’s labor Justin
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

A coat only takes 10-15 minutes
  18. Biz

Biz 20g

How long do you have to wait between each application? Does it come in different colors or tones?
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ll normally wait two days between coats. It can be done daily. This product only comes in one color.
  20. Biz

Biz 20g

Is it possible to add colour to the oil?