Digital, Bio, Mechanical... which safe lock is best?

Discussion in 'Product Review' started by Rob poston, May 24, 2016.

1. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I know there are a lot of opinions out there as to which is best, so I thought I would shed a little light on the subject in case someone else was interested in buying a safe.

First of all, let me state that I am a fan of a mechanical lock. This is the tumbler style that you might be familiar with if you have seen practically any western movie or TV show on the planet. Although this is the oldest technology of the three, it is tried and true, and is still widely used today- and for very good reason. Still, keep in mind that there is no one perfect lock, and none are best for everybody's application.

Next up is the digital (keypad) lock. Just like it sounds, this lock features a telephone style keypad with 12 buttons (o-9, #, and *). This is often more expensive, and is considered an "upgrade" over mechanical locks.

Finally, we have the biometric lock. This is the Mission Impossible, electro-fingerscanning-thinger-ma-jiggy that makes you feel like you are about to enter a secret labratory where biological weapons are produced. These are the most expensive option, but not necessarily the best.

Let's look at affordability, first. This is one of the aspects that the mechanical lock reins supreme. Not only is it the most affordable to buy, but the most affordable to operate as well. There are no batteries to replace, and maintanence is virtually none.

Reliability. Well, this is where the mechanical wins out as well. Biometerics and keypads both have a failure rate, sometimes as much as 15-20%. If you are in a situation where you need to access your firearms, the last thing that you want is for your lock not to function properly. Furthermore, if you enter the wrong keypad information three consecutive times, your electronic safe can lock you out for 10 minutes or more. Not good. Furthermore, a biometric safe may not recognize your fingerprint if you have dirt or debris on either your finger or your scanpad. Likewise, the scanner will not work with gloves, thus requiring you to punch in a code into a keypad (something you might not know by heart if you depend largely on the fingerprint scanner). Also, keep in mind that a mechanical lock uses fewer fallible internal parts, whereas the electronic counterparts rely on wiring, a chip board, and a solenoid or motor... all of which can fail.

Ease of access. This is where the biometric wins, hands down. Just place your finger on the pad and you're in. Secondly, would be the electronic keypad. This takes a little more effort, as you have to remember a combination code- usually six digits. Dragging up dead last is the mechanical. Think your old high school combination lock was a pain?... this takes it one step further. After zeroing the lock out, you usually have to rotate the lock three full turns, stop and the first number, back rotate two turns and stop at the second number, rotate one turn and stop at the third, then back up to a fourth number before you can get into the safe. This can be awkward, but once you get the hang of it, it is not really that bad. Still, it is cumbersome and time consuming.

Security. This is again, where the mechanical lock wins out, and for a few reasons. First of all, the mechanical locks are usually equipped with a key lock. This is an added security measure, not an added access tool. The key on a mechanical lock does not bypass the tumbler, rather locks the tumbler up. With the biometric and electronic keypad locks, someone with my code can enter my safe. With the mechanical style lock, if I lock the key up, nobody can get into my safe, even if they know my combination. I usually do not lock the key on my safe on a daily basis, as I access my safes daily and the mechanical lock will suffice. But if I am going out of town, I will lock the safe with the key as well, thus giving me the most security.

Lastly, I feel the need to talk about post-fire access. In the event of a fire, it is extremely important to open the safe door and clean/reoil the firearms to prevent rusting. Obviously, digital keypads and biometric scanners are largely made of plastic, and will melt with excessive heat, rendering the safe unaccessable. The mechanical lock will fair much better in a house fire, and will typically still be functional after the event.

One more key point. Keep in mind that you can easily change the code/accessability with any one of the lock systems mentioned here, with the exception of the mechanical.

So a quick rundown.

Mechanical:
    Benefits:
    Most secure. Often double locking. Will hold up best in a fire, and will still allow safe access after the event. Lowest maintenance. Least expensive.
    Drawbacks: Slow and cumbersome. Likely not the best option for storing "immediate access" firearms.

Electronic:
    Benefits: Faster than mechanical, but not as fast as biometric. Reprogrammable. Easier to operate than a mechanical lock.
    Drawbacks: Dependent on batteries, which need to be replaced. Reduced fire protection/access. Single locking only. Failure rate. Accessability lockout if the wrong code is repeatedly entered.

Biometric:
    Benefits: Easiest to access, and the fastest. No combinations or codes, just a quick fingerprint scan. Ideal candidate for home security "immediate access" guns.
    Drawbacks: Failure rate is highest of all locks mentioned. Dependent on batteries.
    Secondary access option, as virtually all will have a keypad backup.
    So which lock is best for you? Well, like I said, that is for you to decide. But hopefully this will give some food for thought, for those considering buying a new safe.
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    SHOOTER13 and Rudolph31 like this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good post. A couple years ago my collection outgrew my old safe that has a mechanical lock. The new safe has the electronic lock. It's turned out that the Safe Queens live in the old safe, and the guns I use all of the time reside in the easy to open model. I didn't actually plan it that way, the situation sorted itself out.
    SHOOTER13 and Rob poston like this.
  3. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

This is what I recommend, if you have multipule safes. Best of both worlds... quicker access for your go-to's, and most secure for your collector guns.
  4. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I should also note that when I buy a safe with a mechanical lock, I will only buy new in the box. While electronic codes can be changed, mechanical locks cannot. Keep in mind that when a store displays a safe, they put the combination on a master list (so that they can open it up for customers). Not to say that anything WOULD happen, but I don't like having other people know my combination. All it would take is for some unscrupulous associate at a "Catfish Pro Shops" or "Goose Ridge" to scan my rewards card, get my address, and have access to my safe. It amazes me how many people I have seen buy a gun and a display safe, then arrange for the safe to be delivered.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

6. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Ahhh... now THAT is cool! My two Browning Prosteel safes have the S&G, but I don't think that they have the Group II lock. It would be nice to have them both set to the same combination
    SHOOTER13 likes this.