Contract Hi-Power?

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by Heliman, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Heliman

Heliman Copper BB

Hi folks. New to this forum, but 50 years of firearms ownership and collecting. I have owned or do own quite a few Browning Hi-Powers over the years. Every thing from pre-war, T-series, C-series, Mark series. and FEG and FM clones. I currently own a C-series and a T-series. The T-series is kinda unique in my experience. The front of the grip frame has the Browning T prefix serial number, Txxxxxx. However, on the right side of the grip frame, slide, and barrel the matching serial numbers are Txxxx with the last 3 digits being the same as the last 3 digits Browning grip frame serial number. Also it has generic plastic grips and and a satin finish which is original.

I am thinking this is an FN assembled contract pistol with the contractee designated serial number. What say the Hi-Power experts here?

By the way, this a 1967 T-series and looks as good as it shoots! A definite keeper!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the help! Dave
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. That's beautiful gun, Dave, but, as you say, those irregular serial numbers are a bit of a mystery. If you hang around, one of our excellent forum members, perhaps sub-moa, will provide you with an answer.

Cheers. :)
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Awesome shape for a HP that age Dave...
  4. I hope somebody also comments on how to treat the rust spots on the front strap, etc. That gun is terrific, but it looks like a needs just a little bit of rust clean-up. ;)
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

What do YOU suggest Mister Coffee...!?
  6. Heliman

Heliman Copper BB

Yes it does have some very minor surface rust spots, but I am 69 years old and have a few myself! It will clean up good and be a constant companion when carrying a 9mm.:D

Dave
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. I am not an expert, but I had a 1911 with similar rust patterns. In fact, mine was a little worse. The noted gunsmith Jim Hoag examined the gun and suggested that I rub it with a clean cloth and some WD-40. As much as I respect Jim, it don't work, so I sent it to Colt. They cleaned it up pretty well, but, Colt being Colt, they refused to share with me the details of what they did. That's all I know.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. Heliman

Heliman Copper BB

For surface rust like this I generally use 0000 steel wool soaked in a good gun oil and gently rub the spots. I haven't got into it yet with this pistol, but will give it a try later.

Dave
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  9. I'd swear my Israeli HP was made by FN, numbers and all markings in the perfectly right place?
    Steve