Citori 725 Buldged Barrel

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by CaribouHunter, Feb 23, 2017.

1. CaribouHunter

CaribouHunter Copper BB

I guys, I'm new to this site but thought I would run this by you all. I have a new Citori 725 that I was out clay shooting with. I shot for a few hours with some friends, maybe put 1 or 200 rounds through it. I was shooting store bought ammunition. I did not notice anything wrong, and I did not hear and odd sounding shots, Everything seemed well. After I was done shooting, I went home and cleaned my shot gun. That is when I found that the top barrel was bulged. It seems to be in a weird place, only 3 inches or so from the breech. Has anyone seen anything like this? Some people I have talked to suggest a stuck wad in the barrel, but after an extensive search on the internet, I have not seen another picture where a barrel is bulged as lightly as this. I have included a couple photos of the concern. Let me know if you have ever experienced this or saw this before. 20161126_124814 (2).jpg 20161126_125224 (2).jpg
  2. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

I am not gonna be much help, as I was going to say the same thing. An obstruction is about the only thing that I can imagine could cause this. If your wad is stuck in the choke tube edge (by far, the most common place for them to get hung up), then the shotgun will back pressure. This pressure will find the weak spot in the barrel. True, most barrels with a tube plug will buldge toward the end of the barrel, just before the choke tube, but is possible that the pressure just found an oddball weak spot at the breach. It is also possible (and perhaps likely) that the wad got stuck in the chamber itself (or was slow to exit the chamber area), and caused the pressure buldge. It is also possible that the wad was temporarily caught in the shell (crimp did not open up fully to release the load properly). This would be my bet as to what actually happened.
    I hope you get it fixed... I can see you getting caught in an ugly game of Browning saying it was the ammo, and the ammo manufacturer blaming the shotgun.
  3. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Oh dang... just noticed the posting date!
    Hopefully you got it fixed by now.
  4. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

By the way, what ammunition were you running?