Citori 425 identification; gun case for SN#21694NRK13

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by azaustin, Nov 13, 2022.

1. azaustin

azaustin Copper BB

I have a Citori 425 model with 32 inch barrels that I purchased second hand. I’d like to know exactly which model it is and what year it was manufactured. Also, after much searching online and on the Browning. website, I cannot be sure which case will fit it. The gun didn’t have a case when I bought it and I would very much like to find a case that will fit it and will let me leave the aftermarket chokes (which are longer than the regular chokes and protrude past the end of the barrel) in the barrels when it is stored. I’m new to trap shooting, so please forgive my ignorance. The serial numbers on my gun don’t exactly match the information on the Browning website. The serial number is: 21694NRK13. Thanks.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

What would be the total length of the barrels with the chokes installed? I would not store your 425 in the case long term. Use the case for transport back-n- forth to the field. Some pictures would help us maybe identify a little more. It's been a while since I looked up a Citori, but if memory severs me correct: 1997 with 21694 serial number. K13 would be the 12 ga 425.
    On the earlier models there were different tangs, forearms and receivers, but do think yours is too new and should be easy to find that out. Once again going from memory, type 3 Citori would be it
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  3. azaustin

azaustin Copper BB

Thanks for the quick response. My gun has 32 inch barrels, and the chokes add about an inch, so I think a case for a Citori with 34” barrels would work. But some of the cases on the Browning site are for unsingles or models with tall ribs so it’s hard to know what to get. I tried to upload pictures yesterday when I made the post, but wasn’t approved for that yet. I’ll try again. I’d also like to find some information on how to set the adjustable comb and the shock-absorbing length of pull on the stock. Just tried to upload some pictures, but the site says I don’t have permission to do so. Maybe it takes a while to get approved.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I will look tonight at the cases. I can measure a couple that I have. If you look at some post in the admin section, you will see that there is a problem with posting pictures. The owner is aware. I can't post either the usual way. It has nothing to do with approval, because I do that. A work around that has worked for me is to use IMGUR and upload that way. In my opinion if you're going to have adjustable comb and some recoil set up is to have it done by a professional. The gun needs to fit you correctly, and unless you are really good at fitting shotguns then it's well worth the money spent.
  5. azaustin

azaustin Copper BB

Thank you very much. I did see that there were problems on the site, but thought that was some time ago and had been resolved. I would very much appreciate your efforts on finding a case that will fit my gun. Unfortunately, I live in a small town in Arizona (Lake Havasu City) and there are no professionals in town who do this. I have inquired with members of my local gun club and they can’t recommend anyone either. There are several members who have guns similar to mine that they have set up themselves, and they have shared their experiences. I’ve only been shooting trap for a short period of time (off and on over the last three years due to Covid and a family member illness), so all this is new to me. My regular gun is a Ruger Red Label with 28” barrels. It centers well on the patterning board. I’ve got the Citori shooting very close to the Ruger, but there is still a little difference. The best I have shot so far with the Ruger is a 22 out of 25. My usual average is 17-18. The best I have done with the Citori is 14. The Ruger seems much easier to shoot. All of this is from the 16 yard station at our local range. Thanks again for your help. I’ll look forward to hearing from you about the cases.
  6. Ranger6

OK I measured 6 cases and none of them will fit 34" barrels. Browning does show some that will hold 34" but either out of stock or cost around 600 bucks. I didn't look at those. I would recommend getting on browning site and find one that will fit and then search amazon, midway etc. If you find one you like on the browning site, just scroll down to where it says specifications. It will list barrel length. I did see some, but you will have to take the chokes out each time. 34" barrels are pretty long. I'm a 28-30" guy.
  7. azaustin

azaustin Copper BB

I measured my barrels with the chokes in and they are 32 and 3/4” from choke to breech. The overall length of the gun is 50”. The other big concern I had in selecting a case was if the butt end of the gun would fit with the length-of-pull/“Decellerator” shock absorber on it. I have searched the Browning site extensively, but it isn’t descriptive enough in the “specifications” heading. Some of the cases store the barrels “standing up” rather than “lying down” flat. I have a Browning case that I use for transporting my Ruger Red Label with 28” barrels and it works really well in that application. When I contacted Browning via their onsite help, they wouldn’t recommend a specific case, and, basically said that they had many that would work well for my gun. Looks like the forum still won’t let me upload pictures. Thanks again for all your help, especially with the serial number. I spent a lot of time reading up on how to figure out which gun I had, but, again, none of their examples matched what I had.
  8. Ranger6

I think any case that will fit 34" barrels will work. A nice little feature is the strap that goes around the grip when in the case. I would look for a store that has some cases and ask about bringing your shotgun in and see if it will fit. I usually break it down so no one acts stupid. If you check out my recent post in the admin section, you will see an update as to why you can't post pictures. Anything that has to do with the forum will always be posted there. Should you get put on the bad boy list, very unlikely, it would be addressed just to you. I don't do drama so no reason to post that stuff on the forum. You're welcome on the serial number help, browning has not done a good job with serial numbers ever. It is very confusing to say the least.