Choke question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by blackelim, Feb 20, 2020.

1. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

I have an early 16 gauge that has a Cutts compensator installed chambered for 2 9/16th.
    I live in California so we have to use non lead ammo to hunt here. Everything I have read so far says that when using steel shot in an early shotgun it has a possibility of leaving a ring near the choke of the barrel. Since the Cutts is thicker that the original barrel and is the actual restriction it would seem safe to be able to use steel shot with this shotgun.
    So that is the question that I would like to present to the forum for help and discussion.
    What's everyone think?
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think you’re OK so long as you don’t choke tighter than modified. But where are you getting your ammo?
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Move!
    murphranch and win7stw like this.
  4. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

The plan so far is to buy 2 1/2" shells and dis assemble reload with steel.
  5. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

Can't move yet, wife likes where we are now.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I second this. There are a number of problems with your plan.

The first is that the short shells you buy are roll-crimped. Roll crimping is necessary to have enough room in the hull for a full ounce of lead. Few reloaders are set up for roll crimping.

Next is the wad. Steel shot requires special wads that protect the barrel. You will quickly ruin yours if you reuse the original wad. And, I don’t think they make steel shot wads in 16 gauge.

Last, steel is much less dense than lead, which is another way of saying that an equal weight takes up a lot more space. You won’t be able to load near enough steel shot to be effective. Also, since the lighter steel loses energy much faster than lead, steel is usually loaded to higher muzzle velocities, but you’re not changing the powder charge.

Hunters generally don’t go through a lot of ammo. I’d press the Easy Button on this one. Good luck.
    win7stw likes this.
  8. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

This is why I brought this question up, You guys have brought some clarity to the reloading issues and the only problem with bismuth is cost and availability, we can't even order ammo online to help offset costs. Most gunshops here this bismuth is higher value than gold
    Thanks guys
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

When I saw that it’s $65 a box, I was a little startled. Add to that the hassle of ordering it in California; it’s enough to make you give up. Still, you only need one box.

When you shoot short chambered 16’s, reloading becomes a way of life. And I believe that’s one area of our sport the lunatics in Sacramento have overlooked. You can save a bundle by loading your own. I wrote a post about it here:

http://www.browningowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/loading-short-shells.10859/

And Ballistic Products has everything you need. Although you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere, BP is one stop shopping.

Good Luck
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

$65 a box?!?!?!?!

That’s insane
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hey, it was your link! But looking at the BP website, I see it would cost about $35/box, just for the shot, to hand load these shells. I also saw that they have 16 gauge steel shot wads, but I don’t know where to get a recipe.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  12. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I just bought some gamebore 2 9/16 paper shells and with shipping it was 34 a box, thought that was crazy but 65! Yes it would be time to move.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A lot of people are moving from California. Unfortunately, they’re economically rather than freedom motivated. Then they vote for the same policies that destroyed their home state. Just look at what’s happening in Arizona and Nevada.

I would much prefer that the rational Californians organize and take back their legislature from the Leftists. Hopefully it can be accomplished without bloodshed.
  14. Ranger6

Agreed. Sent you pm
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Haha I didn’t even pay attention to how much they cost when I posted the link. Still most hunters are low volume shooters.
  16. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

I might pony up and buy one box but I sure would need to get into reloading to maintain hunting with this one.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Before you start buying that reloading equipment, make sure you find a recipe for steel and you can actually get all the necessary components.

With shotgun reloading you’re not supposed to change or substitute anything. Lyman’s Fifth is the Bible on reloading and shows just using a different primer or wad can dramatically increase pressures. And loading steel has its own differences.

That said, when it comes to loading short shells, I take a 2 3/4” recipe, add an overshot card and crimp. With some shells I need a little hot glue or wax to make it stay crimped.

Good luck.
  18. blackelim

blackelim .22LR

Thanks guy's, not an easy path forward for the short 16 gauge. I'll keep a look out for a used 16 gauge reloader and loading information. And save up for a box of short bismuth.
    Rudolph31 likes this.