Choke Marking or Dash?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by rcatastrophe, Dec 22, 2020.

1. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Looking at this choke stamp on an Auto 5 barrel, is this a modified with a ** or is it an improved cylinder with a **_.

Is there ever a dash between the choke and the rest of the engraving/stamping? There’s a dash between SPECIAL STEEL and 16 GAUGE and also between 16 GAUGE and SHELLS and they all look the same to me.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

the two. ** is modified. The two ** - is improved cylinder. This would be improved modified *-

yours looks like modified to me
  3. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

That’s what I was thinking. This one is on GB right now and is advertised as IC but I was looking at it thinking “naw that’s modified”.

4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Looks like modified to me
    Don’t put to much faith in the people on gunbroker, eBay or any other place like that. Most don’t have a clue.
    win7stw likes this.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I checked four guns. There is no dash between the choke marks and SPECIAL STEEL on any of them. So you’ve got an IC barrel.
  6. Ranger6

I think the dash that separates the special steel is just that. If not why would there be a dash separating the steel from 16 and also in between 16 and gauge and shell . I think you have a modified. Ok it needs to be measured to find out.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ll look at my IC barrel tonight. Doesn’t SV say the dash can be before or after the asterisk?
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I looked at six guns tonight and 4 are modified with just two asterisk. The full has one asterik. My IC barrel is exactly like the posted picture
  9. Ranger6

Well surely out of ten guns, they can’t be wrong. Learn something everyday.
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Browning did muddy the waters by using dashes between the other items on the barrel. And the dash on the OP’s barrel does look a little long. That’s why I checked four guns. I actually checked six but two had the words FULL or MODIFIED spelled out.

I’m too lazy to look it up, but I think the dash follows the stars unless it’s been altered. Then the dash comes first because there’s no room after.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

SV say’s that usually it’s an indication the choke has been changed. However the high grades from the 60’s & 70’s have the dash on the left
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. Ranger6

I’m too lazy to look it up, but I think the dash follows the stars unless it’s been altered. Then the dash comes first because there’s no room after.[/QUOTE]

I agree the dash looks a little long.
  13. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

So the consensus is it’s IC, with a dash that confuses things a bit because it’s long. I wrote the guy last night ad he said he’d measure it today. Still waiting for that and I’ll update this group if he follows through.

Ranger6 likes this.