cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

The federal 20 should have paper base wad and will load great also, see my post on here about them. Do some reading on the federal base wad, that is fiber. Some people don't like them because there are issues with the fiber base wad coming lose, esp if they got wet from laying on the ground. I load them and never had a problem; however, I shoot them in an O/U, so easy to look down the barrel. The monarch will load fine. If I remember right, I had either the federal or monarch tested. I posted the spec sheet on here also. For the federal I like the windjammer wad. The Remington will load great
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

Thought I would post this here, thought I put it on here somewhere, but couldn’t find it so this is a load for the monarch 20 gauge that you have. It patterns great.

Attached Files:

3. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Found the Federal 20 thread and read it. Jotted down the various different wads, powders, primers, and other supplies like overshot cards, and the oh so not necessary but excellent Gaep bin 2 crimper tool :)

That Monarch load looks exciting. It’s plenty fast. I’ll need Windjammers, cci 209’s, and some 20/28. I have LOTS of those. Thinking back about Whitewing season this year when we’d see hits but the birds kept going and how much I wished I had some shells with 6’s. Reckon that would be overkill? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

Most of the monarch are 1300 so that’s what I loaded for. It’s pretty close, and I like 1250-1350 You can always come up with a little slower if that’s what you want. I think I have some green dot loads, but think they are different wads.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

Just so you know, some people complain about the windjammers, they say to many fingers on the wad. I don’t see the problem but to each his own. There are many wads out there for you to choose from, just be aware that just because there is load data, does not mean the stack height will be correct for good crimps. You may have to add a spacer or deal with dished crimps. I don’t like dished crimps, my loads usually look like factory shells.
    The gaep is not required but sure makes nice looking shells. I have zero issues with any reloading and cycle issues. I have pretty much every gaep crimper you could want. They are a little pricey, but will out last your lifetime and probably your children. I have tried just about every kind out there, and always go back to gaep. If you get a mec they can be adapted, just takes a little work.
  6. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

All good info. I spent a bit of time searching for components online and even took a drive out to Baileys hoping since their not an online seller they may have something. No luck. I’m gonna curb this enthusiasm until getting what I need is easier. I’ve still yet to unbox my reloader and when I do I need to figure out where it’s gonna go. Maybe now is the time to shop for the various other things I’ll need and with suggestions from here I can put together all I need. I don’t like buying one thing only to turn around and buy another better one later. I’ll need suggestions for the various gizmos, time and function tested by my friends here, to buy once and cry once. Scales, trimmers, primers, deprimers, etc. that will complement my PW 375 that’s set up for 16 and 20g. What are the tools you can’t do without and what are the tools you don’t really need but sure are glad you have?

7. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

Justin is your man for the 375, I use mec, so different set up. You should try 10 ring reloading off Jones road. They had some powder last week, including green dot. They sell a good selection of claybuster wads. For a scale, I have a couple. I use a hornady, and recently bought the charge master. I like both and use both depending on what I’m doing. I also have one of those cheap pocket scales. It seems to be just as good as any of the other more expensive scales. Get a scale that will be accurate down to .1 of a grain unless you plan on doing long range stuff. I have a very expensive on that I use to use for that, but it will set you back 1000-1200 bucks. For shotgun no need to worry about that kind of accuracy. The other tool that I use a lot is a hull trimmer. I usually trim my hulls so they are the same length. Makes crimps easier and much better. The better hulls like nitro27 or sts don’t really cause to much problem. The monarch 20 dove hulls should also be fine. If you get great crimps and then all of a sudden get crap. Check your drops and your machine. If all good start looking at your hulls. Sometimes it’s just the way it is and I usually deal with the crappy crimp. Shoot and leave it.
  8. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Dang it I almost ran out to 10Ring but Jones Rd is just SO far for me. I get nosebleeds when i go outside 610. I have a shopping list that includes 20/28, windjammers, another wad I can’t recall without going back to my notes, and shot. I’ll need a scale for sure and I saw this neat trimmer someone posted a link to on the shotgun forums.

Trimmer will be a must because although I am going to want to make good looking reloads, my hypercritical hunting buddies are gonna be all over my loads just to tell me how stupid it is, how they’ve tried it before, how factory is just so much easier, and 50 other reasons why they don’t reload. If I have shitty crimps a whole new layer of criticism will be unleashed. They already think I’m crazy for shooting 16g and 20g.

9. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

Well I would agree it is easier if you can find them. I should have taken some pictures today of local range supply of factory shells… nothing unless you want to pay 21.00 a box for 6’s. So then what do you do?
    And if you want a special load, good luck with that. Don’t worry they will all be your best buds when they run out and no where to get shells to keep them shooting.
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

Wanted to show you something that I came across today loading up some 410 federal. The 410 shells are pretty damn picky and sometimes drive me nuts to reload. This is an extreme case, but happens with other hulls as well. These are both the same shell. Same load, same wad and crimped on the same machine. You can see that the stack height is different. The crimps of both shells. The one on the right is dished and has a hole in the center. Not sure if you can see in the picture that there is a difference in the length of the hull, but there is and that’s something your gonna see when you start reloading. The shell on the right is a twice fired while the other is a once fired. I had one that was a little longer that I didn’t trim and you can see the crimp result in the last picture

Attached Files:

11. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

Couple other interesting things if your anal, such as I. I have come to figure out that these federal not only stretch long ways but also change in diameter. Both of these hulls were fired in the same gun. You can tell pretty easy which one has the larger diameter just by looking at the hull. The hull that has no crimp left is going to be the the larger diameter, and goes to the trash. The hull with the crimp pretty much gone takes more pressure to insert the wad, and also has an effect on stack height. Think these hulls will be one and done.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  12. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

This is a great educational thread!

13. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

This is what hull whores do when bored!!!! Sure wish I was shooting today.
  14. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

Midway has Federal 209A in stock. 8.17am
  15. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

BP has primers in stock 1-17-2022
  16. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

BP has cheddite primers in stock 2-8-2022 10:42 AM
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Just grabbed 5K. Not excited about the price but I don't think its going to get better
  18. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

good deal. I agree. If I needed, I would have done the same.
  19. Auzzie

Auzzie .270 WIN

Curious what is a 5k block of primers worth your side of pond at the moment?
  20. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

BP had the price of 53.70 for 1000. If you buy your limit of 5,000 you get them for 48.35 plus hazmat and shipping. Some discounts on both if you use a code.
    Midway had federal and cci recently for 75 a 1000. Plus all the extra fees
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2022